The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why dont headunits fit in the supra?

Kaan W

Ive tried a number of headunits now single and double din which are normal sized ones the same accross most popular brands, but the hole in the centre console is just that little bit too small. Any suggestions as im probably the only member without a stereo and cant get my head around why the hole is too small.

They're generally fine, sometimes you need to trim the lip on the back of the dash panel. I've fitted MANY double and single din units to Supras, and never had a problem.

Thats what I thought that the outer lip needs trimming to the size of the inner rectangle for it to fit, but then when I put the headunit surround back on it overlaps the heater control knob surround by a couple of mm. So I need to bring the hole down slightly and remove the 3 buttons underneith as there not in use. Seems so much work just to fit a stereo.

Thats what I thought that the outer lip needs trimming to the size of the inner rectangle for it to fit, but then when I put the headunit surround back on it overlaps the heater control knob surround by a couple of mm. So I need to bring the hole down slightly and remove the 3 buttons underneith as there not in use. Seems so much work just to fit a stereo.

You don't need to increase the size of the hole. Theres a lip on The back of the panel that can be trimmed.

Shouldn't need to trim anything fella, here is mine with no adjustments straight into the dash.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?272910-SRD-Sub-Box-LeeP

That fits perfect but I cant understand how some peoples fit and other have to trim. I cant be bothered with running around measuring headunits so this one will have to just fit one way or another.

You don't need to increase the size of the hole. Theres a lip on The back of the panel that can be trimmed.

Well the hole is tiny compared to the size of the headunit and it wont fit unless I cut a good 3mm all round. I guess i'll have to swap it for another one then...

That fits perfect but I cant understand how some peoples fit and other have to trim. I cant be bothered with running around measuring headunits so this one will have to just fit one way or another.
Just ensure that all the cables are clear of jamming at the back, the cage is connected nicely, when I put my HU in Lee noticed I didn't take off metal parts on either side of the cage which wasn't making the HU 100% straight so he took these off. Once he had done that the HU fitted pretty much 100% and is nice and snug. Jason above made a good recommendation of trimming at the rear, nothing off the dash itself should need to be trimmed.

Get a photo up so we can see how off it is, might be able to tell where you need to work.

You are fitting it with the standard supra breakets i take it??? not trying to put the cage that comes with a single din head unit?

The cage fits inthe standard metal cage behind the console but the hole in the console is just too small.

Pictures coming...

take the brackets out in the dash and screw them to the side of your headunit you will see holes some are bount to line up and refit and it should sit with the front just poking through

sorry for bad speling

OH YEAH! All of a sudden it all seems very clear you mount the headunit first then put the console panel back in rather then sliding it in the front, DUH!

take the brackets out in the dash and screw them to the side of your headunit you will see holes some are bount to line up and refit and it should sit with the front just poking through

sorry for bad speling

:yeahthat:

See I told you pictures would help, we could have been here all day! :D

You need to remove the dash panel first. Once you replace the panel with the unit in situ, it should look fine. You know that the cage that's already on the dash is used instead of the one that came with the unit?

Yeah I know now but thanks anyway :thumbs: