The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine cleaning/painting

scott87

I posted a while back asking for places that do engine detailing and cleaning and have contacted a few but have decided that the prices they are asking it just seems to make sense to do this myself.

I'm basically looking to see if anyone has done a guide at all and what products are best to use? Should i also be prepared to need to paint components or will the right product used well bring the bits back to life? The car is a n/a motor. :)

The easiest way is get an all purpose cleaner (auto smart g101 on eBay and dilute 4:1) put it in a spray bottle (preferably with a foamer head) and get a selection of soft brushes and work over the bay, then use an open ended hose to rinse but use common sense when it comes to the water.

Then finish it off with 303 aerospace protectant and your left with this ;)

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

No product will really bring it up like new, and doing a proper job means time taking parts off, stripping down, wire brushing,shot blasting,bench wheel polishing and painting where necessary

quick cleans(under a day) can achieve this with various brushes, g101 etc

This one took 7 days to complete, last pic was 5 days in and is probably more of what you're aiming for and completely achievable DIY.

I was only just getting into doing engine detailing at the time and these were 2/3 years ago now with limited tools, I did the above with a polishing wheel for a drill and wire brush attachments working on the floor!

I'd love to post pics up with far better tools used, but unfortunately i'm not allowed!

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

Here's mine done by myself with basic products. A scotch (brillo) pad or wire wool works great on the intake manifold and throttle body :)

Oh and make sure you don't get the spark plug wells full of water or it will run like a bag of spanners and you'll have great fun drying them out (voice of experience lol).

Edited by Rich.2211 (see edit history)