The mkiv Supra Owners Club

steering feels light at high speeds!

Guest berghard55

Guest berghard55

Hi all, im a newbie on here! I have an issue with my supra it seems that wheni get over 100 the steering feels light, i know my front shock is leaking and needs replacing could it be that? But also ive recently highered the suspension to make my wheels fit and wondering if it could possibly be front end lift, pls help!

Could be due to the shock leaking but it isn't advisable doing that speed if you think there's a potential problem. How much is the suspension raised by? Over a ton if its too high will create lift and cause the front to float i'd say.

What size are the wheels that you needed to raise it to get them on?

I think raising the front with no compensating changes to the adjustable suspension will give you positive or at least less negative camber and the floaty/light steering?

Get the car in to somewhere with a good alignment machine and get your cambers/castors etc back to within the factory ranges.

I think raising the front with no compensating changes to the adjustable suspension will give you positive or at least less negative camber and the floaty/light steering?

Get the car in to somewhere with a good alignment machine and get your cambers/castors etc back to within the factory ranges.

This.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't!

:D

Again do you have a bgw on the back? If so, the suspension also needs to compensate for that.

My front is 15mm lower than the rear. When I get going, the front lifts slightly, and the rear eats the floor, levelling the car out.

I'd go to a good garage and get them to set up your suspension properly.

Either that, or get hold of dr_jekyll on here, he's in cardiff and knows his stuff.

Guest berghard55
Also check the valve function on the steering rack, it opens and closes (speed related) to avoid light steering at high speed

Could be that

where would i find the valve fuction?

First off sort out the leaking damper by replacing it, preferably with a new pair at

the least.

Secondly if the car has platform adjustable suspension and you've been twiddling

with it i'd get it into geometry place that can set the car up properly inc, ride height,

corner weights, camber, castor and toe

Guest berghard55
First off sort out the leaking damper by replacing it, preferably with a new pair at

the least.

Secondly if the car has platform adjustable suspension and you've been twiddling

with it i'd get it into geometry place that can set the car up properly inc, ride height,

corner weights, camber, castor and toe

can you get just just a front pair of shocks? when i look all i seem to find is full set of shocks! ive got hks hypermax 2 and searched high and low for just the front left shock or the front pair!

Id say its more to do with you speed sensor or wiring to the rack and its not telling it to stiffen up at speeds and go light when parking.

do a fault code check and if you get code 42 then your odo isnt returning the signal back to the ecu.

This. I've seen it caused by a dodgy speedo conversion before.

can you get just just a front pair of shocks? when i look all i seem to find is full set of shocks! ive got hks hypermax 2 and searched high and low for just the front left shock or the front pair!

Find out who sells the Hypermax 2 and see what they say, i think these can be

re built but probably not cost effective to do

It would be a better move to buy a set of Bilstein dampers with

lowering springs in my opinion

edit: I've just looked and it appears these are discontinued, i'd give

Chris Wilson a call and see if he can help you

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)