The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is anyone on here in the Armed Forces?

SilverSoop

Hi all, I was just wondering if any member on here is currently serving in the forces?

I have my Royal Navy medical next Tuesday at Twyford and I was just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what's involved...

I'm quite nervous about it!! I've heard that these Service quacks are very picky on who they pass and fail! :blink:

Hi,

I was a serving REME Avionics Technician until late 2010.

Unfortunately I was Medically Discharged due to anterior compartment syndrome in both my legs. The result was I needed the following surgery:

imageimage

And then because that didn't work I had to have this surgery:

imageimage

As for the entrance medical,

Standard eye test,

Hearing test,

The old cough and drop,

A chat about your medical history,

A check if your joints,

Urine test,

Blood test.

Hello sailor lol :gayfight:

I would say they aren't that picky don't worry about it , if your a young fit lad that can run a mile and a half in less than 10 mins you will be fine , saying that I don't even know if the navy do BPFA fitness tests

Bloody hell Josh I've seen a few people after those ops and that looks horrific

I remember doing my medical in 99 in Scotland somewhere and it consisted of the normal medical examinations, urine tests for drugs and alcohol, eye tests etc and for the fitness side it was a 1.5 mile run in under 12 minutes ( drops to 10 minutes when you do your training in the Infantry ) there were strength tests with Ammo tins to see if you could lift a set amount of weight, they counted how many pull ups and sit ups you could do. I would imagine you will have to do some sort of written exam if you are going into a trade in the Navy as the lads who wanted to be in the Engineers had to sit one. Can't remember if there was anything else it was a long time ago lol.

Hi,

I was a serving REME Avionics Technician until late 2010.

Unfortunately I was Medically Discharged due to anterior compartment syndrome in both my legs. The result was I needed the following surgery:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/05/nyga4ena.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/05/e4a7emar.jpg

And then because that didn't work I had to have this surgery:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/05/y9ydu2y8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/05/evuvy9u6.jpg

As for the entrance medical,

Standard eye test,

Hearing test,

The old cough and drop,

A chat about your medical history,

A check if your joints,

Urine test,

Blood test.

Sorry what happened to you and you got dischrged because of it :(

Thanks for the info, spot on :)

Hello sailor lol :gayfight:

I would say they aren't that picky don't worry about it , if your a young fit lad that can run a mile and a half in less than 10 mins you will be fine , saying that I don't even know if the navy do BPFA fitness tests

Bloody hell Josh I've seen a few people after those ops and that looks horrific

Haha, sod off :p

I'm 26 years old and yeah fit and healthy and I always go running and do boxing training twice a week so fitness isn't a problem...however, when I was between 3 and 6 years old, I had Pneumonia and ear trouble, all ok now though so I presume the quack will investigate this throughly I suspect.

I spoke with the Chief Petty Officer at my career's office and the doc's have been recently failing candidates for ear wax so best get my ears syringed asap just incase.

:) quality

Not sure what fitness or medicals like for the navy, but with the army it was just the general medicals and loads of fitness tests

Mind you, that was in 99 so may have changed since

After the medical, I have to do a fitness test at a local civvy centre on a treadmill and get a time of 11 mins and something seconds and I have up to 28 days after my medical to complete it. No problem there :)

I'm just nervous for this medical though :(

I've got a friend who's in the RN. I'll ask...

Thanks Stevie-b :)

I remember doing my medical in 99 in Scotland somewhere and it consisted of the normal medical examinations, urine tests for drugs and alcohol, eye tests etc and for the fitness side it was a 1.5 mile run in under 12 minutes ( drops to 10 minutes when you do your training in the Infantry ) there were strength tests with Ammo tins to see if you could lift a set amount of weight, they counted how many pull ups and sit ups you could do. I would imagine you will have to do some sort of written exam if you are going into a trade in the Navy as the lads who wanted to be in the Engineers had to sit one. Can't remember if there was anything else it was a long time ago lol.

Thanks Jon :) As far as I am aware, it is just strictly a medical, I've already had my eye test and passed that so just this to go, then the pre-joining fitness test, the interview, security clearance screening and finally the 4 day pre-basic course before basic training!

Dont forget the cup and cough test too!

Haha

This exam takes a lot longer in the Navy medical.:p

Depends on the Doctor ;) Haha

Make sure youre nice and supple for the 'dropping of the soap' test ;)

:(

A good guess would be that...... ........ You need to swim lol

That's tested on the pre-basic training course :p

Shane, here's what my friend said:

"The medical depends on what your friend is joining as, aircrew and ship driving needs better eye sight than say engineering. There are a few things which will be a non starter, like Asthma. Feel free to pass on my details if he has any specific questions."

Shane, here's what my friend said:

"The medical depends on what your friend is joining as, aircrew and ship driving needs better eye sight than say engineering. There are a few things which will be a non starter, like Asthma. Feel free to pass on my details if he has any specific questions."

Thanks Steve, you and your friend have helped me out a great deal here :)

Yes, I do have a couple of specific questions regarding myself and the medical....

I'm joining the Fleet Air Arm branch as an Aircraft Handler so will be doing things like refuelling, prepping the Aircrew and Aircraft for departure and landing, fastening the Aircraft down and firefighting should a fire break out lol.

I don't have Asthma but have had perfortated eardrums, Pneumonia (all when I was very young), general work and sport related minor injuries...

When I joind the raf i got a borderline pass on my right ear, since being in the oilfield I've been given medicals loads of times and never had an issue with either of my ears. The issue turned out to be needing my lugs syringed, sounds mingin' but I've spoke to a few guys about it (seeing as how i thought my right lug was painted on) and they all said the same, get them syringed before doing your hearing test.

Oh and they dont like it when you fill the little glass cone thing up to nearly the brim with pee when all they're doing is a diabetes testwith a paper stick haha

Thanks Steve, you and your friend have helped me out a great deal here :)

Yes, I do have a couple of specific questions regarding myself and the medical....

I'm joining the Fleet Air Arm branch as an Aircraft Handler so will be doing things like refuelling, prepping the Aircrew and Aircraft for departure and landing, fastening the Aircraft down and firefighting should a fire break out lol.

I don't have Asthma but have had perfortated eardrums, Pneumonia (all when I was very young), general work and sport related minor injuries...

I'm about to send you a PM.

You should join the RAF mate, more aircraft, better conditions, less chance of getting bummed... I'm an aircraft tech in the RAF, as are a few other people on here

Isn't that a bit of a worry that their is still a 'chance' you could get bummed :blink:

Obviously not unless you are Ed! :D

They should stick a digit up your (usually - or until you join) one way road but they didn't do that for me :)

Look at is as a bonus if they do. It'll be a good way to break in all the bumming you'll be getting from the other matlo's ha

Haha, well hopefully they've all got wives :blink: :D

You should join the RAF mate, more aircraft, better conditions, less chance of getting bummed... I'm an aircraft tech in the RAF, as are a few other people on here

I did think about the RAF but I've always wanted to join the RN and the Fleet Air Arm...my old man and my Uncle served in the RN so in a way, I'm following in my dad's footsteps. We'll see how it goes as it's all hinging on this medical...

When I joind the raf i got a borderline pass on my right ear, since being in the oilfield I've been given medicals loads of times and never had an issue with either of my ears. The issue turned out to be needing my lugs syringed, sounds mingin' but I've spoke to a few guys about it (seeing as how i thought my right lug was painted on) and they all said the same, get them syringed before doing your hearing test.

Oh and they dont like it when you fill the little glass cone thing up to nearly the brim with pee when all they're doing is a diabetes testwith a paper stick haha

Funny you should mention that because I'm gettinng my ears syringed on Tuesday ;) I was told by my A.F.C.O to get it done because the quacks seem to be failing people with any ear wax!! So, I've got olive oil in my ears to help loosen it up for Tuesday, not looking forward to it if I'm honest :(

Oh haha, I'll make sure I fill it to the brim then :D

I'm about to send you a PM.

Thanks very much Steve, got it mate :thumbs:

When I joined the RAF it was a case of a cup of tea and a biscuit with the SMO. I asked him to stamp my med forms and like a pal he did. Mind you I did ask my great uncle to help, he was an Air Commodore :)

You lucky git :p I don't see that happening on my medical...I've heard that these service quacks are miserable as sin!! Sounds like fun lol

Isn't that a bit of a worry that their is still a 'chance' you could get bummed :blink:

Obviously not unless you are Ed! :D

I'll make sure to keep my distance ;) Nothing is coming close to my ass!! :D

Single man rooms these days so at least you are spared the additional embarrassment of public bumming :)

:D

• 1 year later...
Guys quick question for advice, how many years do you have to be clear of asthma symptoms to join the forces? As I'd guess non would accept an application if symptoms are current?

Depends on severity and job you're going through.

Forces are recruiting big these days so are slack on who they let in