The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot rust!

FOSTA

How many of you have had the boot rust problem? I've heard it's a common problem!

Me and Ahamilton have ours in the body shop at the moment to get ours fixed, mine is getting alittle more work just to tidy her up.

Mine wasn't that bad but ahamiltons was on both sides and the top surface was quite swollen with rust!

Instead of getting the body shop to take our windows out and resealing them we thought it would be best to spend alittle more money and get a windscreen guy out to do the job just for piece of mind, but he told us its the design of the rubber along with the boot! He claims the rubbber seal vibrates and over the years it takes the paint off the boot and also with the design of the boot water will hold there resulting in it rusting!

I'm sure not all supras have had this problem but quite a few have!

Is there anything we can do to help stop this happening again?

Mine:

Ahamiltons:

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

WTF...looks terrible...did you guys not notice it before it got that bad!?!?

Local auto glazier only charges £60 to remove and refit the rear screen...had mine done this year as the bond had failed, but there wasn't any rust or sign of it starting!

I had this with mine on both sides so I had the glass removed and two bits cut out and replaced.

When the guy came to put the glass back he said it would help to have a wider and more pronounced seal so he put me a new one on

Something to do water sitting on the seal because the original one is flush to the boot

Mines a j-spec too but its been in the uk longer than it was in japan, imported in 1999, thing is theres not one other piece of rust on the whole car, on the body or underneath, i think the way the bootlid is designed water tends to sit on the bootlid, therefore affecting the area.

I had a few almost unnoticeable marks on the inside area of the boot on my J-spec, nothing on the outside areas though.

This is bad :blink: It breaks my heart to see Supras rusted like this.

Definitely UK weather is bad for the poor cars. The underside of mine didn't look that good either because of it ( and imported in 2002)

I've heard of this, I think it's a bit of flash or a nib on the underside of the seal that rubs the paint off over time. Hopefully it was fixed for facelifts :innocent:

Hummm good point! I'll check my new seal to see if its got any that needs cut off :)