The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Irish Budget 2013: Motortax increase 15%

Jellybean

It's an absolute Joke there bud really is i dont i dont know how they can justify charging that at all. I know theres a new motorway now from Dublin to Limerick but apart from that the roads are crap. With road tax as high as that i would have expected the roads there to be excellent. Can you not take the rear seats out and try tax it as a commercial?

It's an absolute Joke there bud really is i dont i dont know how they can justify charging that at all. I know theres a new motorway now from Dublin to Limerick but apart from that the roads are crap. With road tax as high as that i would have expected the roads there to be excellent. Can you not take the rear seats out and try tax it as a commercial?

That's why they changed it from 'Road tax' to 'Motor tax' a couple of years back :)

You wont get away with a commercial tax on her in Dublin, they are even clamping down on Commercials. If stopped you have to prove you are on a job outside of 9-5 hrs Mon-Friday

That's why they changed it from 'Road tax' to 'Motor tax' a couple of years back :)

You wont get away with a commercial tax on her in Dublin, they are even clamping down on Commercials. If stopped you have to prove you are on a job outside of 9-5 hrs Mon-Friday

Bloody hell anything to kick the performance car market on it's arse eh! Save a fortune and move to the UK mate :) The supe will thank you for it.

Come Wednesday It is not a matter of getting some vascile it how much do I need!

Proposals for another VAT increase here, up to 24/25% + but the EU stepped in and said Brussels cannot dictate a VAT increase. But no minister has commented it was not increasing again! More UK shopping for me!

Heard we have an off license tax coming, anything with a bottled cap will be taxed further; unless you get a pint in the pub! But at close to 6 euro a pint and over 6 euro after 2230; I can see everybody cutting down.

Looks like everything is going up here for PAYE to Universal Social Charge, plus the addition of Water charges, Property tax, communications Tax plus I fear that they will get rid of declaring your car off the road. Plus VRT (Vehicle Registration tax) is increasing

Rumour is if your car is registered it has to be taxed, only way out is to either scrap it or sell it over sea's(de-register it). In theory you could have a car registered here but it might be sitting up with no engine in her and you will still have to tax it!

Outlawing cars , especially performance cars!

Registration Plate Change

From next year, there will be two distinct registration periods. Cars bought and registered between January and end-June will use the 131 number, while those purchased between July and December will use 132. The system works around fears about the superstitions people hold about the number 13 but SIMI also hopes it will spread car sales more evenly across the whole year.

"superstitions people hold about the number 13", not heard such crap!

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Come Wednesday It is not a matter of getting some vascile it how much do I need!

Proposals for another VAT increase here, up to 24/25% + but the EU stepped in and said Brussels cannot dictate a VAT increase. But no minister has commented it was not increasing again! More UK shopping for me!

Heard we have an off license tax coming, anything with a bottled cap will be taxed further; unless you get a pint in the pub! But at close to 6 euro a pint and over 6 euro after 2230; I can see everybody cutting down.

Looks like everything is going up here for PAYE to Universal Social Charge, plus the addition of Water charges, Property tax, communications Tax plus I fear that they will get rid of declaring your car off the road. Plus VRT (Vehicle Registration tax) is increasing

Rumour is if your car is registered it has to be taxed, only way out is to either scrap it or sell it over sea's(de-register it). In theory you could have a car registered here but it might be sitting up with no engine in her and you will still have to tax it!

Outlawing cars , especially performance cars!

Registration Plate Change

From next year, there will be two distinct registration periods. Cars bought and registered between January and end-June will use the 131 number, while those purchased between July and December will use 132. The system works around fears about the superstitions people hold about the number 13 but SIMI also hopes it will spread car sales more evenly across the whole year.

"superstitions people hold about the number 13", not heard such crap!

Fek!!

VRT , is the nail on the coffin for any decent new engine sized cars over here!

So I'm sure at least some of you have heard the ads they have been running. "Beat the VRT Tax Increase by ordering your new Peugot by 21st December".

Seems all over bar the shouting. My sources tell me the top rate is going to a staggering 40%.

If people are crying over the dearth of good second hand metal around the place at the moment, just give it another few years of this and it will be game over altogether.

Consider something like a BMW 550i. The pre tax price of this car is €50k. On top of this there is currently €12k VAT, then a further €35k VRT giving a retail price of €96k approx. The tax on the pre tax price of the car is 92% or thereabouts plus an annual tax bill of €2.2k.

Going forward this car will attract a further €6k in VRT approximately, bringing the price to an eye watering €102k, with a total tax on the car of 104% and the road tax will be heading towards €2.5k.

And they wonder why there were only 9 petrol 5 series registered in Ireland this year?

VRT , is the nail on the coffin for any decent new engine sized cars over here!

So I'm sure at least some of you have heard the ads they have been running. "Beat the VRT Tax Increase by ordering your new Peugot by 21st December".

Seems all over bar the shouting. My sources tell me the top rate is going to a staggering 40%.

If people are crying over the dearth of good second hand metal around the place at the moment, just give it another few years of this and it will be game over altogether.

Consider something like a BMW 550i. The pre tax price of this car is €50k. On top of this there is currently €12k VAT, then a further €35k VRT giving a retail price of €96k approx. The tax on the pre tax price of the car is 92% or thereabouts plus an annual tax bill of €2.2k.

Going forward this car will attract a further €6k in VRT approximately, bringing the price to an eye watering €102k, with a total tax on the car of 104% and the road tax will be heading towards €2.5k.

And they wonder why there were only 9 petrol 5 series registered in Ireland this year?

Jesus Christ. Rip off Republic indeed.

Jesus Christ. Rip off Republic indeed.

Government here is making anywhere but here very attractive!

Over the last few months, the stats on emigration was something along the lines of 1 person every 13 mins!

111 a day, 3000 a month!

To get stats like this you have to go as far back as the famine!

Government here is making anywhere but here very attractive!

Over the last few months, the stats on emigration was something along the lines of 1 person every 13 mins!

111 a day, 3000 a month!

To get stats like this you have to go as far back as the famine!

Soon you will be there all alone dude................................. and empty roads :eyebrows:

Well we'll find out tomorrow, i have four cars at home. The Supra is in bits getting undersealed, i have my S2000 parked up under cover on its old leaking suspension after selling my coilovers and my everyday Punto has decided to blow a head gasket. Hope there is no "tax cars always" as it would be pointless for me. Im currently driving the S2000 i bought to get some parts from and sell on again only because it has tax on it. I reckon if they do bring in the new taxes ill use the Supra once more (ie 3 months tax) and then sell it on (probably overseas as thats where most are going). That and then ill buy loads of 3 litre+ cars (Lexus LS400, etc.) for peanuts and break then scrap/export them so they cant earn money for our government lol.

Just back from London and spot this post. It's so depressing. So if I have to tax the m3 and the supra you're talking about 1000 euro for 3 months? You must be joking. I'm putting northern plates on the lot of mine. I don't care anymore. The worst they can do is make me put Irish regs back on them, they've already had their pound of flesh for the vrt from both of them.

Loved the comment about the single flyby passed good old leo's office, let me know when I might join you. See if we can ruin his day for a change, although I fear the temptation to swerve straight through his front window of his office may be unbearable.

Like your style H :D

Are there any loopholes Carlo - can you register across the border and pay our rate of tax?

Customs are on the ball these days, a few months back they came into the estate with a couple of flat bed trucks and knocked on a few doors; lifted a few cars on NI plates.

But some guys seem to get away with it , it is all down to luck! I was going to do it this year but was talked out of it. I might get away with it for a few days or a few months/years but until you hit a checkpoint , then you are on there radar. Revenue check against your PRSI number where you work; trying to argue you live up north and commute is going to be a challenge.

I can use Steven's house but he is a few hours away in Derry so likely hood I commute is very slim, but I was going to use my second car (Polo) to say I use it down south (its on South plates) and argue I bring down the Supra the odd Day. But it is just a bit messy with having to change clocks over to MPH etc for the MOT and Customs; considering what the car is I reckon they will make it there mission to catch me out.

On the plus side down here, you don't de-register a car so I can still keep my southern plates, I would not have to pay VRT again. If they did force me to put her back on Irish plates.

It is an issue with Stolen cars , car is scrapped ; people keep the reg, rob an equivalent Model/Make /Color/ Year and start driving her under the scrapped cars plates. AFAIK they don't check the VIN plate at NCT time (MOT) easy money!

Sure we will see at 1430, maybe it is just going to hit the C02 Bracket! They are trying to recapture lost revenue, they messed up the Motortax brackets but people will not be happy if they just hit one bracket! So more then likely hit us all.

Last year it was increased by 7.5% for me.

2009 Cars on are based on C02 brackets

Pre 2009 cars are based on Engine CC brackets

Down here a 2009+ 520D BMW you will pay €160 annual motor tax

Under the old system, which based on the engine size of the car (1,995cc) would have meant that motor tax was €660 per year.

Not long now, heard it will be 7% for pre CO2 based cars. Wonder will they increase the insurance tax as well... High car tax, insurance premiums and fuel costs along with dodgy NCT centres is making it hard to run one basic car not to mind a performance one!

Also the NCT occasionally check the VIN as my old Civic was checked and it was wrong. Because the stupid VRT woman mixed up two numbers. I imported it so i knew it wasn't messed around, it took ages to get it sorted though and i had to send a letter to the NCT to not get charged because the 28 days expired for the retest.