The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Top speed run today

Seb

I was on a job at Bruntingthorpe today, and once we were finished I thought it would be rude not to have a quick top speed run. We were with a guy who has an E36 M3 Evo (321bhp), and he seemed keen to follow me and see how fast he could go. If you've never been to Brunters, there's a very gentle right hander which takes you onto the top end of the 2 mile straight - seeing as I didn't want to knacker my car or the tyres, I went round this at 30/40mph in 3rd, and then nailed it once I was on the straight. About 2/3s along, I hit what I assume was the speed limiter, bang on 160mph, and started to slow down; guy in the M3 was still bombing along once I was down to about 60 or so. He said he'd seen 160 on his GPS, and while he couldn't catch me and I managed to build a lead of maybe 100m or so, I didn't leave him as far behind as I hoped, especially with what should be a 100bhp advantage, and he had his mate in his car. No doubt I would have seen 170mph withe the Trac fuse pulled, and maybe 180+ if I had taken the top corner at 60 or so, but I still feel a bit let down on the accelleration front. I'm thinking that advantages look much bigger on paper than they really are once you actually put them into practice. Still, at least I 'won.'

Seb

Originally posted by Seb

I'm thinking that advantages look much bigger on paper than they really are once you actually put them into practice. Still, at least I 'won.'

Seb

You said it mate. People go an about my car being 0.6 of a second faster to 60mph, the actual difference in distance at that point is negligable.

Any car with around 230-240BHP plus won't be too far away from the Supe (standard) on a run, even with the Supe's superior torque.

I guess that's true. It's just that with mods which should add up to around 400bhp+ I was expecting more, but on the other hand, if you watch a car video or something, a seemingly large advantage in speed and time like 0.5secs is only about 10m or so.

Seb

Guess I won against my limiter as well then! 160 was on my Powermeter which is calibrated against my Road Angel and is accurate to about 0.5mph.

Sounds funny to be complaining after a 160mph run!

As for BPU power, I think it varies who you talk to, though I'm sure someone will be along with exact figures or thereabouts. If we're talking air filter, exhaust, full decat, fcd and boost raised to 1.2bar, then I always thought that would be around 420bhp, maybe more.

I forgot to mention that I fluffed 4th to 5th, which would also have contributed to lack of forward momentum... :twak:

Seb

Originally posted by Seb

If we're talking air filter, exhaust, full decat, fcd and boost raised to 1.2bar, then I always thought that would be around 420bhp, maybe more.

I've got that and doubt very much mine's pushing more than 400. More likely 350 or less (j-spec but don't start all the 280BHP standard crap!!!).

I'm not in TTC mode though which will affect it, probably only hitting 16 psi at WOT.

Guess we'll see on the Thor Dyno next month!

It will be interesting to see what you get, not sure what others have experienced from BPU. If you see 350 @ the hubs, then with a rather high 20% transmission loss, that's still 420bhp at the flywheel. Talking purely power figures and not performance, just an exhaust on a turbo charged car should get you around 30bhp more, not least with a full decat etc... Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but otherwise the gains seem too low, similar to that of an NA car. But I'm sure you'll keep us informed, I haven't had a chance to get mine to a dyno yet.

Seb

I personally think 420 is pretty optimistic, I will wait to see the dyno figures though.

TBH though figures are figures, the fact is you aint much faster than him even if you did miss a gear, thats maybe an extra meter you may have gained:eek:

Its takes a lot of power to considerably show up a car with 321BHP.

You see all of these kills, but most of them are I was 15m in front of him at 150mph. Its not like these other sports cars had been left for dead.

I have given a few cars a burn in my time and the Supe doesnt accelerate that much harder than a CTR at about 70mph if he's in the right gear. Sure you'll pull away, he won't be far behind though.

Just beacuse you have twice as much power as some other 'performance' cars, it doesn't mean you are twice as fast. far from it.

**waits for everyone to moan at me about the Supra is a motorway cruiser and will beat any car from a rolling start**;)

I agree, I've been on loads of group meets/cruises and i have to say that often you cannot tell the na's from the TT's even, let alone the standard TT's and the modded ones.

Na's with only 240bhp remember, are only shown up completely on long motorway/dual carriageway stretches......

Well, apart from that horribly insulting J-spec comment :innocent: everyone has confirmed my thoughts about the on paper difference being much less when you put it into practice. It's just the firrst time I've been able to do something like this, so I had certain expectations, but I'm at ease now. Still want to get on a dyno to see what I've got.

Seb