The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What else should i do to my car

scott87

Since becoming the owner of my supra i have done a fair few bits to it but just wanted to see if anyone thinks ive missed anything.

The car is a 1995, imported in 1999, 5 speed manual non turbo. Mileage is around 105,000miles. So since buying the car i have done the following:

New pads and disks

New dizzy/rotor

New iridium plugs & leads

2 x new lambda sensors

New air filter, oil filter and engine oil change

Diff oil and gearbox oil change

New alternator

New exhaust and 2nd decat

Coolant drain and change

The clutch was also done at around 30,000km ago. Im further planning to get the under-body sealed and change the brake fluid and 2 new rear tyres.

(Please no one say turbo :search: Big plans are in the pipelines for coupe years time)

have you tried taking it for a drive and enjoying it? :D

I love it everytime i get in it. I just want to make sure i have done everything possible to keep her healthy.

Loads of bling bling!!

When i was Non turbo!!!

I love bling, but before that i want mechanical perfection :p

The split pipe first cat is the most restrictive of the two hence marginally more gain removing than the second. I have a full manifold/second decat with a mines and that goes along fine.

Think manifold is the answer then :-)

Did the mines up mpg or just smooth out power delivery?

Think manifold is the answer then :-)

Did the mines up mpg or just smooth out power delivery?

To be honest I didn't notice much difference from having both whifbitzs 2.5 decats to then swapping the first decat stock manifold to a autobahn 88 one with a 3" exit. The mines just helps make the car be a bit more urgent through the gears and will rev all the way to 8k revs, I can do 100 in 3rd easy enough.

I had mine set up in loads of variations oover the years

I had just 2nd Cat with the rest Stock

then add a Nur Spec S back box

then 1st and 2nd Decat with the Nur Spec S back box and the twin silencer mid pipe, ran it like that for a couple of year

the I got a 3 inch Catback with only a backbox, I ran this with no Cats for a while, but it was very load, even when I put the 2nd Cat on for the MOT it was still crazy load, I ended up running with the bung in for noise reasons

As for performance, the best it felt was no restriction, but it was just to load, with the 2nd Cat in it was bareable, but not ideal, it was Dyno'ed like this one without the bung, one with the bung

Dyno results and video here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?277967-My-Dyno-Videos

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

I had mine set up in loads of variations oover the years

I had just 2nd Cat with the rest Stock

then add a Nur Spec S back box

then 1st and 2nd Decat with the Nur Spec S back box and the twin silencer mid pipe, ran it like that for a couple of year

the I got a 3 inch Catback with only a backbox, I ran this with no Cats for a while, but it was very load, even when I put the 2nd Cat on for the MOT it was still crazy load, I ended up running with the bung in for noise reasons

As for performance, the best it felt was no restriction, but it was just to load, with the 2nd Cat in it was bareable, but not ideal

Dyno results and video here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?277967-My-Dyno-Videos

Like Rog said it will be too loud, luckily for me whifbitzs 2.5 twin catback sorts that out really nicely.

Do you think removing the 1st cat on mine it would be better then?

I have a 3" 2nd decat leading to the following pipework:

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss321/langers_2004/IMG_0049.jpg

In all honesty, it would proberbly feel a bit better response wise, it's just the noise level, I would guess with the Stock rear silencer box it would be a fair bit quieter than mine with the Kakimoto 3 inch Catback

To be honest mine is still load now as TT, so it's just a load exhaust anyway

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

You've already done most of the basics :thumbs:

What suspension is fitted? If it still has the factory fitted suspension fitted then it's going to be pretty tired after 100K miles, I'd get the car on a ramp and check all joints, bushes, etc. for wear and replace with new OEM parts where needed. I'd also fit a new set of yellow Bilstein dampers and if you want to firm up the ride a little a set of Eibach springs.

What tyres are fitted? A good quality set of tyres will make a big difference to the ride quality, handling and grip levels.

You've already done most of the basics :thumbs:

What suspension is fitted? If it still has the factory fitted suspension fitted then it's going to be pretty tired after 100K miles, I'd get the car on a ramp and check all joints, bushes, etc. for wear and replace with new OEM parts where needed. I'd also fit a new set of yellow Bilstein dampers and if you want to firm up the ride a little a set of Eibach springs.

What tyres are fitted? A good quality set of tyres will make a big difference to the ride quality, handling and grip levels.

Good tyres all round. Backs are getting replaced soon.

The suspension looks as if the shocks have been changed in the not too distant past. And all feels well. The springs look a bit tired but i've seen worse.

Had rich at dynodaze look over all the bushes at check them and they all seemed spot on.

Do you think removing the 1st cat on mine it would be better then?

I have a 3" 2nd decat leading to the following pipework:

The first cat is the more restrictive of the 2, you could either fit a 1st decat pipe or buy a tubular manifold to replace the stock cast manifolds and 1st cat. Removing the 1st cat will make the car feel a little more responsive and rev freer. Removing both cats can make the car very loud, it looks like you still have the stock back box fitted which should help.

The first cat is the more restrictive of the 2, you could either fit a 1st decat pipe or buy a tubular manifold to replace the stock cast manifolds and 1st cat. Removing the 1st cat will make the car feel a little more responsive and rev freer. Removing both cats can make the car very loud, it looks like you still have the stock back box fitted which should help.

Ok thanks for the advice.

I may consider a manifold and 1st decat. Its not too loud now so i do have some dB to play with!