The mkiv Supra Owners Club

speakers

scott87

Ok so ive been searching through the forum looking at ice installs and just want a quick bit of further advice.

Basically the front speakers are oem and i have blown one some how, think it must be from them not getting used for so many years then me blasting rock music out.

I was wondering what can be done to upgrade using the standard sizes and if it is worth it. I was just going to put standard oem in but am wondering if i should upgrade. I changed my speakers in my mr2 from oem and they sounded really tinny.

I dont want a sub as i dont have the space using the car as a daily runner. And i want to ensure i get good bass. The rears as standard give quite a bit i find. Would it be best to install single cone rear speakers and then coaxials up front with the seperate tweaters?

Also the difference in upgrading or getting replacement oem's is going to be huge money wise so i dont want to go crazy, its not like i listen to very loud music these days as my son is in the car alot......

Isn't the existing ICE section full of speaker recommendations?

It is but since i last had a nice install, manufacturers have changed and ive never relied on the speakers for the bass alone without a sub.

Also everyone seems to do different things so ive just got a bit lost really.

The OEM speakers are actually fairly small (4"?). They are screwed into an airbox that takes up a fair bit of room in the door, and what I and several other people have done is get hold of a pair of mounting brackets that will take 6" speakers (IIRC). More choice at that size.

Spot on thanks. I was looking at these. Are these available for sale as i dont have a jigsaw anymore since it caught on fire! :blink:

Would it then be best to put coaxial in the front, single cone with a tweeter and then single cone speakers in the rear?

I have Fli 3way coaxials in mine, all round. Around £30 a pair, but I also have 2 10" subs in the boot for my bass.

Works for me.

If you would rather not have subs, then you would need to go component front, coaxial rear IMO.

Spot on thanks. Coaxial are the ones with the small tweater mounted over the single cone, would a pure single cone not be better in the rear?

Do you have stock size front speakers?