The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend me clutch & flywheel to handle 750 lbs/ft

Brazil

Gents,

What clutch & flywheel set up would you recommend me for my power goal of 750 lbs/ft Max? How many of you guys are running a lighten flywheel?

FYI: When I changed my clutch about 10k miles ago I did not change my flywheel; So I am thinking it would be a good idea to get a new one this time?

If you have a clutch for sale post here too as I may be interested.

Edited by Brazil (see edit history)

Given the diameter of the bellhousing and therefore the constraints of a stock diameter flywheel you will have to use a multi plate clutch, with attendent rattling when disengaged, and the gear train noise from losing the dual mass flywheel (which will NOT stand that sort of torque figure. Most multi plate clutches are simply dreadful in a road car environment, but the Giken ones are probably the best made and the most civilised I have tried. I have a triple plate Giken in my Skyline (which is NOTHING like that sort of torque figure), and the wife can drive it without even noticing there's anything odd about the clutch at all. (There again she doesn't notice punctures, oil warning lights or fuel gauges on empty, so not the best recommendation, but you get my drift....). If it were a wide and tall US V8 with the room for a whopping diameter flywheel you could use a single plate organic clutch with centrifugal bob weights and it would take the torque and be light and totally civilised, but the smallish flywheel makes things trickier and more expensive. I have a big power single turbo Supra here right now. I am *~@*5$ off with it already, just moving it about the yard. Won't go into gear properly and heavy as hell, awful thing. Giken have given me FAR less trouble than any other clutches, over the years, proper race stuff apart.

Given the diameter of the bellhousing and therefore the constraints of a stock diameter flywheel you will have to use a multi plate clutch, with attendent rattling when disengaged, and the gear train noise from losing the dual mass flywheel (which will NOT stand that sort of torque figure. Most multi plate clutches are simply dreadful in a road car environment, but the Giken ones are probably the best made and the most civilised I have tried. I have a triple plate Giken in my Skyline (which is NOTHING like that sort of torque figure), and the wife can drive it without even noticing there's anything odd about the clutch at all. (There again she doesn't notice punctures, oil warning lights or fuel gauges on empty, so not the best recommendation, but you get my drift....). If it were a wide and tall US V8 with the room for a whopping diameter flywheel you could use a single plate organic clutch with centrifugal bob weights and it would take the torque and be light and totally civilised, but the smallish flywheel makes things trickier and more expensive. I have a big power single turbo Supra here right now. I am *~@*5$ off with it already, just moving it about the yard. Won't go into gear properly and heavy as hell, awful thing. Giken have given me FAR less trouble than any other clutches, over the years, proper race stuff apart.

Thanks for your input; by any chance you have a Gilken or lighten flywheel for sale?

Hi mate, the clutch we did for john was due to him NOT wanting a twin or triple plate clutch.

To be honest i would stick to what chris says, as we are distributor for OS Giken and we have never had problems with them

Their consistency is always flawless. And for the performance they are reasonably priced (unlike paying over 2K for an RPS).

I have sent you a PM.

Hi mate, the clutch we did for john was due to him NOT wanting a twin or triple plate clutch.

To be honest i would stick to what chris says, as we are distributor for OS Giken and we have never had problems with them

Their consistency is always flawless. And for the performance they are reasonably priced (unlike paying over 2K for an RPS).

I have sent you a PM.

Hey

Can you send me a quote for a OsGiken for a 1997 Skyline R33 GTST delivered to Dublin Ireland ; she will be running around 550 hp and similar Torque

thanks

I have a used twin plate Giken with flywheel for a GTS-t in good condition. Only swapped out for a triple when I built my new engine. Plus, the good thing about Giken is rebuild parts, in fact ALL spare parts are easily available.

Thanks Chris, do you have a Price in mind; I will forward onto Simon

A twin should handle his power?