The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommendations for an alternative to HIDs please

jim

I've been using HID's from the group buy a couple of years ago and they've been great, really made a difference to my ability to see the road at night which comes in handy lol. One of the bulbs or ballasts has gone and I've reverted back to my stock bulbs and after having the HID's the difference is really noticeable. My MOT's due in January, HID's are (as far as I know) now illegal in NI as I don't have self levellers or headlight washers, so I don't want to put a replacement HID in.

So...what are my alternatives to give me brighter headlights? I've a facelift, the bulbs are an odd fitment and a bit more difficult to find than the pre-facelift. Appreciate any suggestions! :)

Ta :) £20's not a bad price to pay, cheaper than the eye test I went and got before fitting the HID's lol, I was convinced my eyesight was going but it turned out I just needed brighter bulbs.

Edit, don't suppose you've a link please Josh?

Ta :) £20's not a bad price to pay, cheaper than the eye test I went and got before fitting the HID's lol, I was convinced my eyesight was going but it turned out I just needed brighter bulbs.

Edit, don't suppose you've a link please Josh?

Here's the thread I posted about them :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?263369-Headlight-bulbs

I've a facelift, the bulbs are an odd fitment and a bit more difficult to find than the pre-facelift. Appreciate any suggestions! :)

The facelift and pre-facelift bulbs are the same spec, it's the UK glass headlights that use different bulbs.

Basically if you have J-spec headlights with plastic lenses you should get HB3/9005 bulbs for the low and high beam. On the low beam you will need to cut/file off a small rib in the plug connector, you'll see which I mean when you try to plug the wiring harness into the bulb.

Thanks Nic :) mine of information as always amigo!

I had to trim the collars for the HID's, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do that again as I suspect it's contributing to the condensation inside my lenses :( Is there no way round that?

Thanks Nic :) mine of information as always amigo!

I had to trim the collars for the HID's, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do that again as I suspect it's contributing to the condensation inside my lenses :( Is there no way round that?

By the collar do you mean where the tabs are that hold the bulb into the headlight? If so you shouldn't need to do this, with a bit of fiddling you should be able to get the bulbs in, if you can't, unscrew the 3 small screws that hold the ring on the back of the headlights (where the bulb tabs fit into), put bulbs in then screw the ring back on.

The part you need to trim is a rib inside the plastic plug on the end of the wiring loom that fits onto the back of the bulbs, it's difficult to explain but if you try to fit the low beam wiring loom plug onto the 9005/HB3 bulb it will not fit because of this rib.

Aha...cheers Nic! :) It was the tab that I had to trim, maybe my HID's were HB4.

Yeah you don't need to trim the tabs, they should fit with a little fiddling, loosening the 3 small screws just a little can help to give enough clearance to get the tabs to slot in, if not remove the ring completely fit bulbs and then screw the ring back on.