The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Loss of power, or simply underwhelming?

Guest Amano

Today I am on the verge of buying my first Supra after many years of dreaming.

I test drove a '95 3 litre non turbo. It was a short drive in a built up area and I didn't go past 3000 revs. The engine was cold when I started it and idled smoothly with absloutely no untoward sounds as described in the guide found on this website, and there was no smoke. However, when I put my foot to the floor the car's acceleration had the feel of a 2 litre engine. Is this normal? I've read that the acceleration is progressive but this was really underwhelming. Should I have taken it onto a faster road to get the real picture? Or is there something wrong with it? It was my first Supra experience and I have no yard stick!!! If anybody out there can enlighten me on this: either with some reassurance or advising me to get the hell away from it - I'd appreciate it. Cheers!

I drove a couple of NA's that were dreadfully slow when I was looking.

You really need to get the car out on an open road and plant the accelerator in second and third gear to get the best out of them. They are never going to be quick but they can put a smile on your face..!!

H.

Cheers guys, that's very encouraging. Despite my question, I'm not actually in it just for the speed. It just wasn't what I expected, but if it's normal then no problem! I'm going to see the car again tonight and this time I will take it out for a longer drive on the open road and get a proper feel for it!

Well they were circa 220bhp from the factory when they were new if I recall correctly... probably not that many NA's are at that figure now, so it could be a bit down on power.

When you couple that with the fact that it's a reasonably heavy car, it comes as no surprise that they are not going to break your neck :)

You'll still have all of the Supra looks though which is the main thing... :)

However - if you're feeling a bit underwhelmed on the test drive, how would you feel about it after you've owned the car for a while? If you are a speed lover, factor that in your decision when you buy a Supra and buy whatever suits your needs best. TT's can be had for reasonable money now, definitely a buyers market at the moment.