The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Water in the foot wells!

FOSTA

Ok So after 2 years of threatening to dye my old tired looking Gray carpet black!

I finally started to strip it out today.

Now I first noticed when I lifted the carpet and the underside sponge bit was absolutely soaking! I can only describe it as if I was to pick up a spunge and dunk it in the bath without sqeezing it then placing it back in my footwell!

Then the rear drives side was even worse as it was about 1" deep of water in the rear corner.

The passenger side wasn't to bad as it was only damp in the rear and the front was bone dry.

It also felt like the thin sponge layer going up the back behind the pedals was slightly damp too.

Could anybody help pinpoint where this could be comming from?

Also just to add : ever since I've owned the car the front screen mists up and frosts on the inside in the winter.

I'm starting to think maby the front screen needs resealing? But is there anything else I could check for?

On the plus side I found some treasure :D

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

If you can find anything on yours that looks out of place. Can you tell me what it is so I can double check mine. Its so frustrating.

I think it could be to do with how you bolt the roof back on. the order and such. Sometimes mine leaks, sometimes it doesn't. Its always the drivers side that leaks on mine.

If it is the Aero seals, before you start shelling out for new ones, Give this a go.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EINSZETT-GUMMI-PFLEGE-STIFT-RUBBER-CARE-STICK-/390397740572?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item5ae584c61c

I swear by it. My ZED's T-Tops used to leak like mad, then i put this on just to try to slow it down, and it fixed it altogether. It plums and rejuvenates the rubber seals. I always keep a bottle in now and go over seals every few months.

Peter

If it is the Aero seals, before you start shelling out for new ones, Give this a go.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EINSZETT-GUMMI-PFLEGE-STIFT-RUBBER-CARE-STICK-/390397740572?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item5ae584c61c

I swear by it. My ZED's T-Tops used to leak like mad, then i put this on just to try to slow it down, and it fixed it altogether. It plums and rejuvenates the rubber seals. I always keep a bottle in now and go over seals every few months.

Peter

I couldn't find any obvious signs of damaged seals, but mine also leaked now and again on the drives side where the roof meets the windscreen seal. I just took the roof straight back off and cleaned that area and refitted the roof and it stopped the leak untill I took the roof back off. Lol

Thanks for the link dude I've just purchased a bottle :thumbs:

I will try this to restore the seals and if that fails ill just purchase some new seals ;)

Ok yeah, it's coming from the roof! Another night of rain I thought I'd check to see if anymore rain came in and it did!

It's running from the join where the roof meets the windscreen frame. It's then running down the inside rubber then onto the dash, then down along the sill under the plastic trim into the rear foot well!

Non of this can really be seen unless you take the trims off so that's why I never knew water was getting in untill now.

Front join in roof:

Running down the inner seal:

Onto the side of the dash:

Along the inner sill:

Into the rear foot well:

My car is parked on a slope witch is why it's running into the rear footwell. If it was parked flat it would probs just be flooding the front drivers footwell.

Thanks guys :thumbs:

• 1 month later...
Ok So after 2 years of threatening to dye my old tired looking Gray carpet black!

I finally started to strip it out today.

Now I first noticed when I lifted the carpet and the underside sponge bit was absolutely soaking! I can only describe it as if I was to pick up a spunge and dunk it in the bath without sqeezing it then placing it back in my footwell!

Then the rear drives side was even worse as it was about 1" deep of water in the rear corner.

The passenger side wasn't to bad as it was only damp in the rear and the front was bone dry.

It also felt like the thin sponge layer going up the back behind the pedals was slightly damp too.

Could anybody help pinpoint where this could be comming from?

Also just to add : ever since I've owned the car the front screen mists up and frosts on the inside in the winter.

I'm starting to think maby the front screen needs resealing? But is there anything else I could check for?

On the plus side I found some treasure :D

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/jamielfoster86/C45AA8FF-5231-49F6-BBCA-AA71A6C3BB19-126-00000005BB650116.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/jamielfoster86/AC4F3437-F04B-4453-BA0F-EDE63F54A36C-126-00000005C1D01159.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/jamielfoster86/226FB773-8045-4B2A-BDFF-F51D337A632E-126-00000005D902E2E3.jpg

you should leave them coins in there , there for good luck ,, most of the jap cars have this , its a tradition of superstition , ive owned 5 jap cars every one had coins under carpet one under each front seat ,

I have the same issue, took the top off for the first time using a Hexagon tool from my halfords tool kit... Now i cant fully bolt it in, the front left and right bolts dont want to go in! Even with a little force down... I really need a key it would make it easier, are these all "universal" as in Hexagons?