The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre size advice for going single

Lee_e

Afternoon all :)

So in the new year around Jan/Feb time my car is going in to SRD for its single conversion .. am hoping for anywhere between 600-700 BHP.

My current dilemma is tyres and wheels , Im running 265/30/19 avon ZZ3's on my 19" 10J rears which are great tyres considering their price, Now i know 19" are not the greatest for going single and i understand this completely but i love my Jade R's to bits and would find it hard to part with them unless i had a swap or serious offer.

Im prettys sure If i stayed with my current wheels and tyres .. I will be slipping and lighting up the rears in every gear :(. So my question to you Folk is.. If i stay with my current wheels but went for a slightly chunkier profile tyre for example 265/35/19 .. would i see any benefit on grip or is it a simple case of any 19" wheel will be pants grip ?

Any advice is hugely welcomed

Afternoon all :)

So in the new year around Jan/Feb time my car is going in to SRD for its single conversion .. am hoping for anywhere between 600-700 BHP.

My current dilemma is tyres and wheels , Im running 265/30/19 avon ZZ3's on my 19" 10J rears which are great tyres considering their price, Now i know 19" are not the greatest for going single and i understand this completely but i love my Jade R's to bits and would find it hard to part with them unless i had a swap or serious offer.

Im prettys sure If i stayed with my current wheels and tyres .. I will be slipping and lighting up the rears in every gear :(. So my question to you Folk is.. If i stay with my current wheels but went for a slightly chunkier profile tyre for example 265/35/19 .. would i see any benefit on grip or is it a simple case of any 19" wheel will be pants grip ?

Any advice is hugely welcomed

Man You must have one hell of a stretch on those rears with 265's on your jade r's fella!!

I've had a few different wheel and tyre set ups, ranging from 315's to 275's on my single with the jade r's.

The falken 452's 275/30/19's, are by far the best tyres I've had so far, 315's being the worst would u believe it.

Unfortunately with any single in the wet it's pretty pointless to even attempt to drive hard....lol

Your suspension set up is just as important as the tyres when u start chasing the big power, biggest mistake I did was to make the rear set up to hard, for a long time i could wheel spin through into third it was that bad ;-)

Prob with the r888 is apart from them being hideously expensive they are a square tyre so give even less clearance

You may get away with an inner arch roll, poss a small tug/flare for 295's mate. Mine were fine with 295's and an arch roll

I know you had some trouble with Arch enemy who done your arches before your custom work done but what kinda price did you pay for just the rears to be rolled ?

I would much prefer to go bigger tyre and arch roll than a new wheel altogether :)

HAHA I honestly have no idea about tyre stretching etc but i Pretty much just followed on from what the previous owner had put on, As it was all ok i thought why change something that isnt broke :)

You saying that maybe a 275/30 Falken 452 might be a good bet ? im not too bothered about price of tyres so long as it doesnt protrude into the £250 a tyre mark lol

HAHA I honestly have no idea about tyre stretching etc but i Pretty much just followed on from what the previous owner had put on, As it was all ok i thought why change something that isnt broke :)

You saying that maybe a 275/30 Falken 452 might be a good bet ? im not too bothered about price of tyres so long as it doesnt protrude into the £250 a tyre mark lol

Go on camskills and have a look you can usuall pick the falkens up for just over £100 each ( I paid £119 each delivered last time), really cheap and great tyres, everyone I know pretty much runs these now and loves them ;-)

Tyre stretching is like a fat chick squeezing in to a pair of tiny jeans.....total ball ache but the results are worth the stretch

Tyre stretching is like a fat chick squeezing in to a pair of tiny jeans.....total ball ache but the results are worth the stretch
untill she needs to do anything functional. Like sit down.

The poster wants grip.

Grip on the road isn't all about surface area. It's only one part of it. More sidewall and therefore more give is a factor.

If you stretch a 285/35 on a rim too big you will have less give in the tyre. A 285/35 on a correct size rim will have more.

A stretched tyre gives much less grip.

I know you had some trouble with Arch enemy who done your arches before your custom work done but what kinda price did you pay for just the rears to be rolled ?

I would much prefer to go bigger tyre and arch roll than a new wheel altogether :)

Arch enemy only screwed up my flare as i wanted it massive!

Just an inner arch roll is about £80 for the rears

Just to add i always used to run the fk452's on my fronts and they were good

What size are your wheels width wise, you shouldn't just go slapping on wider

tyres in search of grip.

The profile of the tyre will make a difference along with how stiff your set up is with regard

to the anti roll bars along with the damper and spring combination

The answer isn't just in the tyres, suspension geometry and set up are just as if not more

important

I am using R888's 295/30/19 with arch roll and it only scuffs if I have people on the back and go over bumps..! I am lowered on Meister R coilovers.

- - - Updated - - -

I am using R888's 295/30/19 with arch roll and it only scuffs if I have people on the back and go over bumps..! I am lowered on Meister R coilovers.

I had exactly the same set up on my single, 19" jades with 265 zz3's, i had no issues at all, in fact it was superb for grip, at 570bhp, funnily enough them jades are now on Rich7927's car. I ended up with some 18"s with 285 continentals on and it was utter crap, i could spin the wheels in 4th no bother, compared to 2nd at a struggle with the zz3's. Now that was no doubt down to the tyres, but i certainly wouldn't go swapping down to 18"s just because you're going single, i'd give it a try with the setup you have first.

Edited by Marty (see edit history)

I had exactly the same set up on my single, 19" jades with 265 zz3's, i had no issues at all, in fact it was superb for grip, at 570bhp, funnily enough them jades are now on Rich7927's car. I ended up with some 18"s with 285 continentals on and it was utter crap, i could spin the wheels in 4th no bother, compared to 2nd at a struggle with the zz3's. Now that was no doubt down to the tyres, but i certainly wouldn't go swapping down to 18"s just because your going single, i'd give it a try with the setup you have first.

Dam all of you and your wisdom haha ..I've decided to try new zz3 on the rear as Im currently set up ..then if its bad willtry another route .

thanks again folks ;)