The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thoughts please - Drivetrain Ratio of 4.27:1 & SP's Quick Spool Valve

Littler

Hi Guys,

As some of you know I am planning my single build and have decided to build the Supra I really want and have it exactly how I want it! From this it has made me really look into the details of how I want my car to drive and have decided I want a quick spooling car with the aim being on acceleration rather than top speed.

Most people who know me will know I have OCD when it comes to detail and I really do over think things but through searching how to optimise acceleration I came across the PHR ring and pinion gear set which has a 4.27:1 ratio over the auto’s stock 3.769:1. I was curious to see if anyone has used this as there are concerns about drastically reducing the top speed to an unstreetable amount but this has been based on a stock powered car?

Also having emailed Dusty (MVP stock the part) with a rough guide to my desired power levels and spec it seems the top speed isn’t as much of a concern when running my aimed 700hp, I have also inputted some scenario’s into the useful calculator we have on here:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=161114&stc=1&d=1353685546

I will most likely be having a built engine (with a PT6766 DBB, 1.0A/R divided) combined with a SRD built autobox (finally made a decision on that so my 6 speed box that is yet to go in the car may be for sale soon) and a TRD diff (to increase grip). The scenario’s above are based on various rev limits but I’m after some opinions on how drivable the car will possibly be and what sort of rev limit would be more suitable for a street setup?

Also in the aim of quick spool and minimising lag I have a PT6766 DBB (1.0A/R divided) turbo going on which has proven to be pretty good with spool but has anyone used one of SP’s quick spool valves over here in the UK (I think Steve.m did on his big single but can’t remember) and have any dyno graph’s with/without specifically with the 6766 if possible? Or would a quick spool valve on a 67mm turbo not really have enough benefits to fit it?

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/Sound_Performance_Quick_Spool_Valve/3643

Cheers,

Adam

Gearing Options.jpg

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

Can't comment on the pros and cons of the above mentioned crown wheel and pinion mate but for your consideration I run an alternative option in my 5 speed track car.

I managed to get my hands on the crown wheel and pinion from a 1999 USDM Lexus SC300 from a breaker outside Chicago.

The ratio is 4.273:1 :).

I got it because I was running the 2JZ non turbo lump and I was looking to keep the drop in revs between gears as small as possible and to make as much use of the first 4 gears in the W58.

But now with the BPU'd 1JZ I find it just as useful because of the engine's greater useable rev range and the acceleration is great in all gears. If memory serves I think it's only doing about 20mph per thou in fifth!

The only question mark hanging over the swap from your point of view would be its probable inability to handle the torque associated with a 700bhp singled 2JZ.

I've sat in a car with that final drive. He had around 650hp, and it is really really fun. Extremely easy to control drifts (if that's your thing), and flys through the gears.

The con was the top end was really pretty poor. It seemed to get there so quick that you are left feeling that you need an extra gear.

It was indicated around 140 on his GPS IIRC...

I've sat in a car with that final drive. He had around 650hp, and it is really really fun. Extremely easy to control drifts (if that's your thing), and flys through the gears.

The con was the top end was really pretty poor. It seemed to get there so quick that you are left feeling that you need an extra gear.

It was indicated around 140 on his GPS IIRC...

Just to add, I have no idea what tyre sizes he had on either...

Cheers for the info :)

Yeah tyre size is the thing that has a big impact looking at the calculator in my first post I think with my 295/35 18 setup the top speed will be realistic for what I'm after. It may be a case though that I have to try it out to really see if I'm happy with it lol

Also just realised David (Inferno) in his epic build has used this final ratio so will ask him for his input.

Was it a Supra that you were in and I don't suppose you know whether it was a stock rev limit?

It was a Supra, and I'm not sure on the rev limit either....

It was really fun though, went to the top speed very quick for it's power and a very different type of drive in comparison to a stock geared version. It really did fly through the gears.

It would be great for a track car, and if the top speed with your setup is 175 then that would be more than enough for the roads as well.

It was a Supra, and I'm not sure on the rev limit either....

It was really fun though, went to the top speed very quick for it's power and a very different type of drive in comparison to a stock geared version. It really did fly through the gears.

It would be great for a track car, and if the top speed with your setup is 175 then that would be more than enough for the roads as well.

It should prove to be fun, and I'm hoping due to the turbo by raising the rev limit it will help with the top speed slightly :)

I think they had some issues with the SP Valve on Steve's wangan Supra when they tried it last time, and it worked better without? IIRC It was when Andy owned it though...

With the ring and pinion kit as well as the T67 DBB the power is going to come on really quick anyhow. If it does come on any quicker you will have traction issues. The extra costs to buy and fit it won't be worth the gains IMO.

I think they had some issues with the SP Valve on Steve's wangan Supra when they tried it last time, and it worked better without? IIRC It was when Andy owned it though...

With the ring and pinion kit as well as the T67 DBB the power is going to come on really quick anyhow. If it does come on any quicker you will have traction issues. The extra costs to buy and fit it won't be worth the gains IMO.

Yeah I have found a mixed bag of reviews on the SP QSV and like you say due to the turbo going on the power should be on nice an early and I suppose if I find it not to be how I want it I can always add it at a later date :)

Cheers for the info :) Looking forward to getting this together now

Amir just a quick question but typically what gains in terms of spool did you see from your 3.4l over a 3l, I understand the turbo used will affect this but a rough guide in rpm would be good?

If anything the stock gearing is too short when combined with a medium sized single turbo and one of the main issues to overcome is traction in the first 3-4 gears. With a modern DBB turbo of the size you're talking about the only time you'd really notice any lag is from a standing start.

The stroker brought spool up by around 5/600 rpm in comparison to a 3.0.

The way a stroker drives off boost as well is great. You have a nice low down grunt and it was effortless for the turbo to come in, even with a large T6 framed tubby.

The area under the curve increases, as well as the peak torque.

The only issue with using a 67mm turbo on a stroker is, that due to the extra efficiency of your engine, the turbo will be running out of puff that much earlier as well. However, this then opens up the opportunity for you to have the option of using a slightly larger turbo, gaining more power and torque, yet retain the driving characteristics of the smaller setup.

They had completely the wrong setup for a quick spool valve on that car, it should be open manifold and divided turbo, the had a divided manifold with open turbo and wondered why it never worked :D

6 speed all the way! Will be a right car

That was the initial plan (hence why I bought it lol) but now I've decided I'm going to build the Supra exactly how I want it, I'm going to keep the auto (well built auto lol). My aim is a fast accelerating car with minimal lag but with the ease of the auto. Think the main reason I'm thinking like this is when I drive the Supra it isn't for track use or drag racing and it can be very long journeys where the auto is perfect for the journeys I make :) I know on twisties I may think a manual would've bin perfect but for 85% of my driving the auto is perfect. Also people who have seen my driving know that auto or not I don't hang about :D