The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Could this be the engine for the Supra Mk5 ?

Nikue

Not to mention Fuel consumption. I would love to own a Mkv but with a unknown price tag and if it is base on 5 litre V8 Twin Turbo i be worried not be able to afford one.

I would think the Mk5 would be priced to compete with the GTR.

I can also imagine that initial depreciation will be high which will make it more affordable years down the line. GTRs now can be had for £30k. Another 3 years I say it will be knocking on £20k. And for those that still cant afford it at least ONE day they will be albeit several years down the line. As for fuel consumption there will never be a solution to cheap fast motoring based on a combustion engine.

Edited by Nikue (see edit history)

Lexus IS-F powerplant (2UR-GSE) more than likely as this has been the "performance" engine for future development.

Lotus worked with the powerplant for a while, and a healthy 620hp - supercharged

So think of the pricing for this model in the AMG range only applied to an IS-F ;)

Hopefully not... Not really a fan of those kind of engines.

Rumors are that Toyota and BMW will be developing the new Supra. Also, the new Supra could be based on BMW 6 series. So how about using the 450hp Inline 6 Turbo, yummy, yummy, from the 2014 BMW M3 :D Now that's more Supra !

Rumors are that Toyota and BMW will be developing the new Supra. Also, the new Supra could be based on BMW 6 series. So how about using the 450hp Inline 6 Turbo, yummy, yummy, from the 2014 BMW M3 :D Now that's more Supra !

Good shout to be fair. Would love it to retain the turbo inline 6. It's the heart of the supra and should stay that way.

Even better, chuck two turbos on it :eyebrows:

Alex that Partnership is Soley to do with Hybrid technology...the New supra will be a 'pure Gasoline' engined car, It will be a "ground up" car

Edited by bondango (see edit history)

Good shout to be fair. Would love it to retain the turbo inline 6. It's the heart of the supra and should stay that way.

Even better, chuck two turbos on it :eyebrows:

Drove my colleagues 335i and that his engine is the 3 litre twin turbo, felt very Supra like!

Though saying that we have to remember that the Supra was a modern day GTR back when it was released, it scared the kack out of supercars back then. Nowadays it just sets records across the world and makes the Bugatti Veyron seem like just a beefed up VW Beetle...

Alex that Partnership is Soley to do with Hybrid technology...the New supra will be a 'pure Gasoline' engined car, It will be a "ground up" car

According to the latest news I'm reading all over the internet, the new Supra will developed by the combined efforts of Toyota and BMW and might use the current BMW 6 series platform. If all of this is true, the Supe ending up with the 2014 BMW M3 I6 turbo engine too, isn't that far off. Though i would personally prefer Toyota to build a new engine for the Supra themselves, that engine from BMW is a great option and can keep the identity of the Supra alive for sure.

Unfortunately, at this time, these are only speculations flowing all over the internet.

Edited by alex2jz (see edit history)

yep, i know the GRMN Sports Hybrid Concept II was hailed as the "new supra" but being mid ship, lectric and 4wd just went against any Gene the supra carried. The gt86/fr-s development at the time was also rumoured to be based on an existing platform, and it was in the end a ground up build. Tetsuya Tada said in a interview quite lately that it takes a 5 year timescale on a ground up design when being asked about the 2 future releases, which personally makes me think it wont be based on any 'existing' design. It just a waiting game i guess, and what ever the outcome..if the DNA is right all will be good ;)

Lexus IS-F powerplant (2UR-GSE) more than likely as this has been the "performance" engine for future development.

Lotus worked with the powerplant for a while, and a healthy 620hp - supercharged

It never even ran. The show engine was just a show engine and the engine had already been dropped before the motorshow it was exhibited at.

Totally the wrong kind of powerplant for a sportscar, IMHO. Way too big and heavy for its power output.