The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Number plate sizes.

Kaan W

I know this has probably been covered a million times but after searching I cant find the information im after and just want to see what you guys do.

I have a Do-Luck front on a UK spec car and am wondering what the smallest legal number plate I can have on the front as the normal size pretty much takes the whole intercooler space.

Not keen on having it in my window or to the side just wanna see pics of where you guys have got yours.

Thanks.

£25 for a front plate ?

From what i can find a front plates overall dimensions are 524 mm x 112 mm

Characters should be 79 mm tall

Apart from no 1 they are 50 mm wide

Character stroke 14 mm

Space between characters 11 mm

Space between groups 33 mm

Top bottom and side margins min 11 mm

plates_dimensions_back_stan.gif

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Is your boot bolted to the front of your car by any chance?

Nope! But I've been pushing my luck so should really get one sorted. You can go online and specify the size though and I think as long as you don't take the mick most coppers probably wouldn't bother pulling you for that alone.

Hi mate, its K44 NVV. I worked it out to be 399mm wide and 101mm high.

Yep that is right.

The thing you need to make sure of is where you get a plate made up. For example, Halfords plates are such that the required markings are on the bottom right corner, preventing you from cutting the plate down to 399mm wide.

An import plate would be 356mm wide and 86mm high for the same reg. :)

Yep that is right.

The thing you need to make sure of is where you get a plate made up. For example, Halfords plates are such that the required markings are on the bottom right corner, preventing you from cutting the plate down to 399mm wide.

An import plate would be 356mm wide and 86mm high for the same reg. :)

Thats cool, thanks :)

Are the required markings required? All the plates ive ever had made up havent had any markings on them.

I didnt realise the import plates were that much smaller! How would anyone know its a UK spec and not imported?

Thats cool, thanks :)

Are the required markings required? All the plates ive ever had made up havent had any markings on them.

I didnt realise the import plates were that much smaller! How would anyone know its a UK spec and not imported?

When the Police do a check on your car ;)

The trouble is when you cut down the length leaving an 11 mm border on the ends the

plate looks awful in my opinion.

I think it looks cool :)

- - - Updated - - -

When the Police do a check on your car ;)

Im confused tho, are all Jap specs imports and all UK specs not imports? How do I know if its an import or not?

Here is the guidance i received from the DVLA

Thank you for your email received on 11/12/09. Your email reference number is 186847.

The Road Vehicles ( Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) regulations 2002 SI no. 2687 came into force in November 2002.

These amendment regulations introduce a new regulation 14A, making special provision in relation to the size and spacing of characters in the registration number of some imported vehicles. These regulations also include the display of motorcycle sizes number plates on imported vehicles. The provision only applies to vehicles imported into the UK which do not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval, and are so constructed, that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration number in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.

Also contained is an amendment to regulation 3, to prohibit the use of a number plate on which the background is patterned or textured, or gives that appearance.

Where a vehicle has been allocated a UK registration number, the number plate must comply with the specification and standards laid out in the Road Vehicles ( Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001, as amended. Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display numberplates with smaller characters if the vehicle does not have European Community Vehicle Type Approval and the vehicle's construction/design cannot accommodate standard size numberplates.

The dimensions for the smaller sized plate are:

• each character in the registration number must be 64mm high

the width of each character of the number, other than the letter 'I' and the figure '1' must be 44mm

• the width of every part of the stroke forming a character in a number must be 10mm

the spacing between any two characters within a group must be 10mm

• the vertical spacing between groups of characters must be 5mm

• the width of a margin between the number and the top and lateral sides of the numberplate must be not less than 5mm

• the space between the bottom of the number/character and the bottom of the plate must not be less than 13mm, but within that space, the space between the bottom of the number and the top of the name and postcode of the person the plate was supplied must not be less than 5mm.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai..._vehicles.html

When filling in the form the email reference number 186847 will be required.

Regards