The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra 1UZ-FE V8 conversion

Paul Whiffin

We've just completed our first 1UZ-FE conversion and wow, these are nice. Sexual V8 sound, bags of torque, smooth, lightweight, cheap and very tuneable. Its a conversion we can now offer to owners if needed. Looks like it was meant to fit in the Supra, what do you think?

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/96supraengine3.jpg

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/96supraengine2.jpg

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/96supraengine.jpg

Edited by Paul Whiffin (see edit history)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blooming lovely! What was the cost in this if a v8 soarer was supplied whole as donor?

Labour wise about £1000 approx if we have to remove parts from a donor car as well. The worst part is the wiring, you have to splice quite a few wires at the ecu end, time consuring job.

Parts wise you just need some electric fans for the radiator, modify the fuel feed with a new pipe and fittings, exhaust has to be shortened and thats about it, everything else fits straight in.

You can pick a whole Soarer V8 up for about £1000, less if the bodywork is buggered. This engine, gearbox, loom, ecu, etc cost me £400! Nice conversion for an NA Supra, you can get about 300bhp from fitting manifolds, exhaust and air filter.

Bloody hell that's a good option and a really good price, you could have a lovely sounding and pretty quick supra for a couple of grand. I'm guessing this is an auto? I wouldn't mind dropping one of these in mine with the w58 box, I wonder if I can sneak it past the wife???

Its an auto yes, not sure on the manual conversion though as you would need a bell housing or adaptor made. There's bound to be adaptors available I would have thought. There is a bell housing available for the R154 gearbox as that was fitted in the Soarer with the 1UZ engine, so its definately doable. Trying to find a used one would be a mission though I would have thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and this car is for sale, £6000, lovely car too.

There are a number of Aussie and American (and Thai?) options for the manual conversion. How "plug & play" they are is another matter, though. :)

From the information on their site, the Quantum kit from the US seems to be one of the most sorted, but whether that's the case in real life, who knows?

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Its an auto yes, not sure on the manual conversion though as you would need a bell housing or adaptor made. There's bound to be adaptors available I would have thought. There is a bell housing available for the R154 gearbox as that was fitted in the Soarer with the 1UZ engine, so its definately doable. Trying to find a used one would be a mission though I would have thought.

Oh and this car is for sale, £6000, lovely car too.

There's no manual 1UZ from the factory. The R154 was fitted to the 1JZ-GTE Soarer only.

Manual conversion will set you back a grand with a W58, or ~£1500 for an R154.

Edit: - Gareth beat me to it!

You can pick a whole Soarer V8 up for about £1000, less if the bodywork is buggered. This engine, gearbox, loom, ecu, etc cost me £400! Nice conversion for an NA Supra, you can get about 300bhp from fitting manifolds, exhaust and air filter.

I have 4-1 long headers on mine from Rush Imports. Neil doesn't seem to make them anymore but there is a company in Australia that does the same design. Had a thread about it here as I found it tricky to source after market performance headers. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?271621-Hurricane-1UZ-FE-Soarer-V8-Headers-manifolds

Nice work Paul. Hope you start selling performance parts for these engines :)

I have 4-1 long headers on mine from Rush Imports. Neil doesn't seem to make them anymore but there is a company in Australia that does the same design. Had a thread about it here as I found it tricky to source after market performance headers. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?271621-Hurricane-1UZ-FE-Soarer-V8-Headers-manifolds

Nice work Paul. Hope you start selling performance parts for these engines :)

I'm toying with getting some manifolds made for it yes, and centre section too, so no cats, free flowing and plenty of noise!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Paul, slight correction... unfortunately there was never a factory 1UZ manual in anything.

I'm sure I saw it somewhere last night when I was doing a bit of research, obviously not!