The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Very irritating missfire!

Chris Bailey

Wondering if you guys can help!

Ever since dad went single turbo we have had a very annoying missfire that only occurs when the overdrive is on, The missfire happens at 1.5 bar and Ryan mapped the car at a safe 1.2/1.3 bar. Ryan reckons it was the spark plugs, So dad swapped the grade 7's to grade 8's it made the car feel better but still didnt cure the missfire. Now since then we attended another dyno day at Dynodaze on the 12/11/12, I noticed that the supra didnt missfire at all and they run the car in Manual mode,3rd gear overdrive off. Before people ask the coil pack clips were checked at dynodaze by some people from the forum and all seemed okay. Now its got me thinking could it be the injectors? Ryan had said that they are at 90% duty cycle so could this be the issue? Hope you guys can understand what im trying to get at :).

Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated as always :)

Cheers!

Were the injectors new or second hand and most importantly were they flow tested? Even new injectors should undergo a flow test ideally, I remember Mr Wilson always said that. I suppose the thing is if it was an injector misfire or uneven spray pattern surely Ryan would of been able to detect this during the mapping by monitoring each cylinder?

Thank guys! Dad was thinking off changing the injectors in spring next year to either 850cc drop ins or going 1000cc with top feed fuel rail :)

- - - Updated - - -

Were the injectors new or second hand and most importantly were they flow tested? Even new injectors should undergo a flow test ideally, I remember Mr Wilson always said that. I suppose the thing is if it was an injector misfire or uneven spray pattern surely Ryan would of been able to detect this during the mapping by monitoring each cylinder?

All the parts were second hand from Paul Whiffin - Not sure if they were tested.

mine does the same when traction is on, thats how the syvecs works iir, when it senses loss of traction (in the settings with it on) it cuts the spark. hence i had to tell the guy what setting to put it in :) thats why i never use it :D not a clue what yours could be though buddddy

Have you got Syvecs traction control ?

No not at the moment its just the Syvecs S6 ECU - A HKS FCON Pro come with the kit from Paul but Ryan didnt have the version 3.3 software to map that ecu, So Ryan had a nearly new Syvecs he fitted, Its going back to Ryan in the spring to have the traction and launch control fitted.

No not at the moment its just the Syvecs S6 ECU - A HKS FCON Pro come with the kit from Paul but Ryan didnt have the version 3.3 software to map that ecu, So Ryan had a nearly new Syvecs he fitted, Its going back to Ryan in the spring to have the traction and launch control fitted.

How does launch control work with an auto? I have always wondered this cause wanted it on mine but thought it was for manuals only

No triangle that I remember.

I say live with it Chris; I'm half way through my complex fuel gathering device to strap to the front of my car to reclaim all that you send out the back. Should be ready in time for BW.

Yeah forgot to mention that! A nice load of black soot comes out of the exhaust sometimes when on boost!

How about coil packs, when I had my single mapped it missed at 1.5bar so Ryan turned boost back to 1.3 bar and it was fine. With new new coil packs it's now mapped to 1.7 bar with the new owner with no issues. That's the route I personally would take.

It sounds like you had the same issue, It could be the coil packs but there a expensive part to change if thats not the problem. Is there anyway of checking the coil packs themselves?