The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air intake question

scott87

Ive been looking at fitting an induction kit or similar to the Supra, ive had an equal amount of people saying its good and vice versa. But i have just a few questions.

1. How many people use the universal filters. I really cant see why a piece of foam or whatever should be hundreds of pounds when im going to have to custom fit it where i want it anyway. If people do have universal jobbies which one.

2. If i were to buy a washable panel filter could i place this in the original airbox and remove the fold down cover? I would obv make a surround out of metal or similar to stop water and would clip the filter in place. But would this not give a huge surface area and be the same material as an induction kit?

Anyone who know anything will tell you the standard, well insulated airbox with its direct cold air feed is the only thing to do, unless you have an FMIC and have no choice. A stock Toyota filter flows more than enough air, but you can pick up KnN panel filters etc.

:yeahthat:

Anyone who know anything will tell you the standard, well insulated airbox with its direct cold air feed is the only thing to do, unless you have an FMIC and have no choice. A stock Toyota filter flows more than enough air, but you can pick up KnN panel filters etc.

Unless you have it modded so the stock airbox can stay in place with the front mount ;) http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?230453-SRD-Front-Mount-Intercooler-Kit&p=3522351&viewfull=1#post3522351

But yeah stick with the stock airbox, I have a K&N panel filter with it and is proving to be very good

Stock airbox with both cold air feeds is better than any induction kit

even on a TT with FMIC

Brill thanks.

And those feeds are good enough. Not worth increasing the size of the feed pipes? Just asking as after changing a few bits the car feels a little air hungry.

Brill thanks.

And those feeds are good enough. Not worth increasing the size of the feed pipes? Just asking as after changing a few bits the car feels a little air hungry.

Toyota did a pretty good job in the first place so no need to mod it but the

2 cold air feeds are a must

There is so much faith put into the stock airbox and its abilities I even went to the trouble of custom piping my NA airbox (with TRD panel filter) when I did my TT conversion!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=160983&d=1353410246

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=160984&d=1353410246

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=160985&d=1353410246

Looks good. Did you keep the stock cold air feeds or beef them up a bit?

Looks good. Did you keep the stock cold air feeds or beef them up a bit?

Kept them as they were/are.

I do run with the bonnet raised front and rear though, to aid cooling over the engine.

This might allow an extra charge of air to find its way to the air filter housing from that particular feed but nothing has been, or ever will be, measured or proven by me to support or rubbish this theory.

Ok thanks. Well i may get a cheap one and do 2 dyno runs to see if there is a difference.

You may see a slight increase in hp with an induction kit on a dyno, but running a car on a dyno with the bonnet open and huge fan blowing air across the front of the car/engine bay does not replicate actual on road performance.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

You may see a slight increase in hp with an induction kit on a dyno, but running a car on a dyno with the bonnet open and huge fan blowing air across the front of the car does not replicate on road performance.

Agreed but for the sake of the test i'd do it with the bonnet shut or its simply

a pointless test

Agreed but for the sake of the test i'd do it with the bonnet shut or its simply

a pointless test

Yer that would be the plan.

Although i wasn't hoping to gain much hp, just increase airflow in. It just feels restricted at the mo.... I just dont want to make things worse, that is my main reason for so so many questions. :innocent: