The mkiv Supra Owners Club

battery question?

robby246

ive got a clifford alarm on my supra and because im not using the car much now its killing my battery! may sound like daft question but if i take the battery off and charge it will it effect my alarm in anyway?i know it obviously wont work but will it be alright when the battery goes back on?

cheers

robby

Im fairly sure that when I had my Clifford Concept in my Corrado many years ago there is a backup battery in alarm unit. However disconnecting the battery may trigger the alarm.

A way around it would be to connect a car battery from another car to the terminals in the Supra and then remove the Supra battery. Bit tricky but then at least the other car is supporting all the alarm functions while you charge it up.

Low trickle charge can take up to 6 hours (4amps) . High speed up to 2 hours. This is based on the size of the battery I have taken out from mine just today with no charge. Just hope it hasnt lost its memory and beyond the useful life.

i haven't have a problem disconnecting my battery with my clifford alarm,to stop the battery draining, (when i haven't been able to drive it for weeks)

if you need a new battery see what price toyota can get you one for (if you ask for discount) it may be cheaper than you think.

The back-up battery located in the sounder on Clifford alarms is only to power the sounder itself if the system loses the main battery power when the alarm is armed.

If you disconnect the main battery whilst the alarm is either 'unarmed' or in 'valet' setting, then the sounder won't go off.

When the battery is reconnected, the alarm comes back on in the same state as it was when the battery was disconnected - i.e., if it was in 'valet' mode when the battery was disconnected, then it'll be in valet mode when it is reconnected.

These Clifford alarms usually only draw around 50mA when armed, so it shouldn't really flaten your battery to the point where it won't start unless you don't run your car for over a month.

If the battery's going flat in much less than a month, then you've either got a failing battery or something else on the car is sapping the life out of the battery - perhaps audio or a hidden tracking device. I found two hidden tracking systems on my car which did the battery no favours.