The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I'll be shot for this (mkv on the way)

Suprab1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't I heard that toyota have teamed up with BMW to design and build several electric/hybrid cars, and a sports car?

Imagine a mkv with the capabilities of an M5, and maybe more....... :drool:

Toyota have done a deal or two with BMW. The new Auris diesel engine (1.8 or 2.0 litre) is a BMW unit in exchange for some of Toyotas world class Hybrid technology. You will soon be seeing, if you haven't already, a hybrid BMW that is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!!!

So it wouldn't surprise me if they were to collaborate on a sports car at all.

Who will it be aimed at? What price range? Who will buy it? Im guessing the GT-R which will put it squarely on the back foot straight away.

Well... i think we'll just have to wait and see. My hopes are not very high though ! 20 years later, Toyota has really lost it's touch in everything.

"I think current hybrid technology is not good for road sports cars,” FR-S chief engineer Tetsuya Tada said during an interview with Top Gear.

The Scion FR-S has reminded the buying public that Toyota can make spectacular sports cars. With the limited power and small footprint of the FR-S, there is a tremendous opening in the automaker’s product line for a larger and more powerful sports car. The FR-S features various references to the classic AE-86, this hole could be filled by a car with an even more important model name from Toyota’s past: the Supra.

Tada does mention his “next sports car.” When describing the next car he says ”I want to make a big… ‘wow.’ I want to give the world a shock.”

When asked directly about a new Supra, Tada says “Of course, anything is possible.” Yoshinori Sasaki, another engineer associated with the FR-S said, “It’ll be a different avenue of sports car from the GT 86.” He is adamant that this new Supra will use a pure gasoline drivetrain.

Sasaki also stresses their support of the Supra’s traditional front-engine rear-drive layout, ”rear-engined, rear-driven cars – and even mid-ship designs – are OK. But if you want to make an enjoyable sports car, it should be front-engined, rear-drive.”

The UR generation of engines with some form of forced induction are a likely candidate IMHO

"I think current hybrid technology is not good for road sports cars,” FR-S chief engineer Tetsuya Tada said during an interview with Top Gear.

The Scion FR-S has reminded the buying public that Toyota can make spectacular sports cars. With the limited power and small footprint of the FR-S, there is a tremendous opening in the automaker’s product line for a larger and more powerful sports car. The FR-S features various references to the classic AE-86, this hole could be filled by a car with an even more important model name from Toyota’s past: the Supra.

Tada does mention his “next sports car.” When describing the next car he says ”I want to make a big… ‘wow.’ I want to give the world a shock.”

When asked directly about a new Supra, Tada says “Of course, anything is possible.” Yoshinori Sasaki, another engineer associated with the FR-S said, “It’ll be a different avenue of sports car from the GT 86.” He is adamant that this new Supra will use a pure gasoline drivetrain.

Sasaki also stresses their support of the Supra’s traditional front-engine rear-drive layout, ”rear-engined, rear-driven cars – and even mid-ship designs – are OK. But if you want to make an enjoyable sports car, it should be front-engined, rear-drive.”

The UR generation of engines with some form of forced induction are a likely candidate IMHO

If this is the case I don't care what anyone says, id have a new supra over the GTR any day!