The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Towing an automatic Supra

MattP

The reason being I had a thread up here a few weeks ago about wanting a new N/A Autobox now as a result of that thread I bought an autobox that was previously on one of my old Supras however that supra was a write-off and was towed in N to a breakers. My point being the Autobox had been running well before and after the accident but after fitting it to my new Supra it feels like it is slipping in 1st gear all the time on pull away.

However could this be down to a dodgy torque converter?

I've not ever looked ito it fully but I know that towing an auto can damage the transmission. Some manufacturers state that it's OK to tow an auto as long as it's in N but speed is not over 30mph. Other manufacturers say it's OK but you have to put extra gear oil in the box. I would imagine Google might turn up a more definite answer as to why you shouldn't do it.

I was always told that it damages the torque converter and box due to the possibility of overheating.

When I had my Audi quattro, all four wheels have to be off the ground when towing due to the four wheel drive system (something to do with potential damage to the transfer box) and even doing a brake test on the MOT without the correct equipment can damage a four wheel drive system.

Skyline1 - an auto cannot be bump started as it has no clutch to give friction. The torque converter is effectively a fluid coupling.

Bobski - are you asking because you have to tow a Supra? If so, just do it the right way. You might be lucky enough to not damage the box and TC but then again you might not ;)

Edited by straightsix (see edit history)

The reason being I had a thread up here a few weeks ago about wanting a new N/A Autobox now as a result of that thread I bought an autobox that was previously on one of my old Supras however that supra was a write-off and was towed in N to a breakers. My point being the Autobox had been running well before and after the accident but after fitting it to my new Supra it feels like it is slipping in 1st gear all the time on pull away.

Possibly - or low fluid?

Fluid is pumped around the gearbox when the engine is running. If the car is towed (with the engine off) the gearbox is being turned by the rear wheels but the pump is not running.

IIRC. This leads to a build up of pressure that damages the torque converter/bell housing.

Bobski - are you asking because you have to tow a Supra? If so, just do it the right way. You might be lucky enough to not damage the box and TC but then again you might not....

The answer to that question is no read previous posts^

I saw it after posting so know why you're asking now :)

My advice would probably be to source a known good box on here from another member - unless you get your old one back for free and then it will only cost you your time to see if it's OK or not.

The car I currently have was sold to me with a nackered gearbox so as a result of this I did the following......

*I put up a thread to find a new gearbox.

*Bought back a gearbox off my old supra which was low mileage with a new sump filter and worked flawlessly however the guy didnt have the matching torque converter.

*I have since had my nackered old box removed and the low mileage one put on with the nackered ones torque converter for the above reason.

*The gearbox appears to work better through the gears however it feels like it slips in 1st gear when pulling away from a stop.

*The gearbox has the correct amount of fluid in and has been checked using the correct method running in park etc..

Could the problem be the torque converter or is it possible this is a reflection of the gearbox being towed in its previous car?

Edited by MattP (see edit history)