The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To carry on with my build or not...

Parry_10

Been having a think for the past few weeks now on wether to just sell all my bits and either just buy a singled supra already done or put the money in the bank and save for an r34 gtr. I dont really have anytime to work on the car anymore with my new job.

The main parts I still need are:

Clutch- Was going to order this weekend

A turbo

Syvecs ecu

Wastegate

Bov

Cams

A few other small bits

I rekon about another 5k to finish it. I could mostly have it finished apart from ECU beginning next year. But at a max I get about 4-8 hours a week to work on it. Hmm

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would continue as atleast you would know everything is new and done right, buying a already made single may be cheaper short term but not necessarily long term. If you are going for a R34 then that different stop the build now and sell up, but if sticking with supras I think you would be stupid to stop now. Just my opinion.

I suppose it was a stupid question obviously most will say to finish it. But its hard to put a lot of money into a car

1) You see the car once a week max

2) Usually spend about 4 hours on it a week

3) You have thousands worth of parts sitting around doing nothing and still need to spend thousands more.

4) You dont want to pay someone else to do it when you can do most of it yourself

5) You think of the cars you would be able to buy if you sold all the stuff you have lol

Two things...

1. No way could you sell your supra...THAT CAR IS LIKE YOUR GIRLFRIEND :love:

2. Lets be honest here, ive known you for a little while now and both me and you know you couldnt afford it! :)

Much love bro! :D

1.... i do love my car loadssss but i dont love it in that way... :blink: even if it is a little dry these days!

2..... and yes im a poor farmer. you bitch :D

If you sell it and buy a ready made single, you'll eventually spend out changing little bits to your desired spec if that isn't already satisfied (turbo choice, ECU, etc.). You'll always wish it had the Nur arches and Fikse wheels. (If you didn't want those on your ideal Supra you wouldn't own what you own)

If you want to go for an R34 then why not. BUT, for me personally, when I look at an R34 (and I think they look AWESOME) then look back at the Supra I never think the Supra looks like it is wishing it was a sports car. The Skyline is lovely, but - for me at least - the Supra is the epitome of 90's/00's Japanese high power sports car.

The NSX is up there but is totally different. Then there is the R35 nowadays but I count it as '10s rather than '00s even though they technically aren't.

It is all preference at the end of the day but I maintain that I made the right choice. Supra FTW. If you do sell up - £4... ;)

I'm in exactly the same position and have come close on a few occasions to giving in. To date with all parts and the engine build in about £12k in, I believe the build will still need £12k to finish.

This is more than just a single, this is bodywork, suspension, wheels, brakes, single turbo and an engine build. But it will be done to a very high standard and I don't think I would find a similar car for sale that I would be happy with.

Therefore I will continue. Mine has been of the road 2 year this month. I have made a promise it will be back in the road for summer next year.

Stick with it. You can't beat building your own car. You will never be satisified with anyone else's attempts.