The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1jz SINGLE help needed

paul21uk

hey guys as above... just wondering weather or not the 2jz gte v band downpipe (single turbo) will fit directly onto a 1jz non vvti as they both come down directly of the turbo and looking at the pic there arent any differences well not that i can see thanks in advance any thoughts welcome

Dude you need to aks the people who have done it, not stick a thread asking people as there is very little on here who have done this convertion let alone gone single aferwards.

I am 1 of the few who has gone single and 1 of the first to do the 1jz install ON MY OWN.

First off you need a decent manifold i can send you links to where i got all my stuff from and let me tell you so far its not missed a beat and done some serious work so far.

Then you need to find a 61mm turbo anything bigger will be really laggy and crap, no matter what downpipes you buy they will need modifying to fit (cut welding) and if your doing the work yourself be prepared to lose alot of skin from your nuckels and arms as getting the old turbo crap off is a nighmare job in the car.

Then fitting the new maifold, its even worst as the pipes are very close to the nuts that bolt it to the head and you will be tested when fitting the new manifold as its not as simple as you would hope, mine was a bitch and had to come off 3 times to redo things id missed or forgotten.

But if your handy with spanners - angle grinders - and a warm garage then you wont go far wrong.

Edited by little num (see edit history)

I'd mount the turbo and wastegate to the engine and trailer the car to a professional exhaust fabrication place like Primary Design and have them make a bespoke downpipe, an inlet pipe to turbo from the air filter box, and the pipework to the intercooler from the turbo compressor housing. Get them to use flexi joints, and get them to put a flxi joint in the wastegate pipework, too. They do this sort of work in their sleep, it'll fit properly, be properly supported and look nice and professional. You keep your skin and your sanity. Get them to fabricate turbo and wastegate support bracketry as well, as 99.9% of manifold suppliers just ignore this vital issue, and it leads to manifold warpage, cracking and blowing. Expect to pay a lot of money to have this done properly. Expect trouble if you ignore it :(