The mkiv Supra Owners Club

On the hunt for my first toolkit! Help wanted

Chris Bailey

Evening all!

Wondering if any of you can help me, Its come to that time where I really should be looking for my first tool kit. I have a basic Bluepoint carry toolkit with 3/8 Ratchet/sockets and some spanners and some pliers. But im after something that has a wider variety like screwdrivers and torquebits etc. Im not after anything like Snap-on at the moment as i know 100% my budget cant stretch to that. I've heard Halfords do some good quality kits so will have a look around. Not to sure what ive got to spend but just gathering some infomation before i make my decision. So any help/advice welcome as always :) Cheers!

Snap on and MAC are con artists! Get the Halfords tool box where the tools have a lifetime warranty but half the price of Snap-On/MAC!

I've spent thousands on tools through Snap On and MAC including a tool box and there's still draws half filled!

My first tool kit was a Halfords advanced kit. Has everything you need for basic maintenance on a car, and comes in a stainless steel case. Around 100 sniffs iirc.

In fact, I still have it, and take it on long drives just in case, as it fits snug behind the front seat.

Further to that, there is the halfords pro range.

I know have a full (military mech issue) draper kit :)

One day! I dont like the idea of owing him money just yet especially at my age! :)

Just get the Blue~Point trolley with tools. About a grand iirc, and you get all bits and pieces you need.

I'm very fussy about my tools, but then I can't afford for a tool to let me down at the side of the motorway cos there ain't no snap on dealer on the hard shoulder!

This is how fussy I am, even as a mobile mechanic...

Van kit...

Workshop kit...

I appear to have deleted the pictures of the socket rail in the van and the spanner racks too. But they're so neat the wife complains I'm not that tidy at home.

Look after your tools mate and they'll look after you. ;)

This is the kit I suspect most are mentioning: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_713989_langId_-1_categoryId_165572

I have a Halfords Industrial roller cabinet now, but that kit still forms the basis of my tool set. It's a great general purpose kit.

The kit above and this socket set and you will have nearly everything you are going to need, just add a decent Torque Wrench if you have not already got one

O and one of these sets, when they are on offer

The kit above and this socket set and you will have nearly everything you are going to need, just add a decent Torque Wrench if you have not already got one

O and one of these sets, when they are on offer

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj152/DodgyRogSupra/DSC02401.jpg

That's the cabinet I've got. It's amazing value for money at retail, but like you I got mine discounted. My mechanic mates have always been very impressed with it, saying the only downside over the much more expensive Snap-On boxes is the drawers aren't as wide.