The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear Subframe Refurb

2soops

Hi all, having had my MOT recently i noticed the rear of the car was starting to look a little shabby around the subframe and axle area, i decided to drop the rear end and do a complete refurb. I have removed everything except for the rear shocks and springs, and was a little horrified by what i have found. The car is a 1994 J spec TT 6 speed and was used as a daily for about 4 years when i bought it in 2004, and has spent most of the last 4 years cocooned in a nice dry garage.

During removal i have found that the 2 small rear camber adjustment arms are seized and i cannot remove them (pretty standard on these i believe and probably will cut them out), the drivers side rear top arm bushes are shot, and the drivers side abs sensor destroyed itself on removal. I think i may also have an issue with the propshaft centre bearing as it seems loose and noisy. Apart from that i think alls well and just needs rust removal and paint with some new parts thrown in for good measure.

I have posted some pictures and will try to do a few before and after ones as it should look like new when im done. I am suprised by how the surface rust has started to creep into the body work, as i had a mk3 previously which was a 1986 and the underside was perfect. I guess all these cars are getting older now and we should probably pay more attention to the underside.

If anyone has any experience with removing subframe bushes could they please pass on any hints and tips. I would like to get the subframe shot blasted and powder coated, but dont want to destroy the bushes taking them out as they are fine, albeit rusted in.

I have put a couple of shots of the floor in, one showing the rust, the second cleaned and rust killer applied, quite a few more areas to do im afraid. I will get the floor body done first and sort other parts in the order they will be going back on. I dont have a lot of spare time so will probably update this thread weekly as i do any work at weekends. If anyone has a picture of the axle with part numbers this would be realy helpful as i think there will be a few visits to Mr T in near future.

i Phone 016 resize.jpg

i Phone 029 resize.jpg

i Phone 032 resize.jpg

i Phone 088 resize.jpg

i Phone 099 resize.jpg

i Phone 105 resize.jpg

i Phone 128 resize.jpg