The mkiv Supra Owners Club

quick release system

Jellybean

No, if you bolt the wheel to the boss it will safe. Just remove the complete quick release system.

If there is play in it you should bin it anyway and get a Driftworks one as per your other thread.

Its just bolted up to the boss, might get a driftworks ; just afraid of build quality

Anybody know how you would connect a car horn to this , R1000H Snapoff kit (7 pin connection)

I was onto Murray Motorsport but I am a bit confusded when they say just connect the wire (for the Car horn)

Is it as simple as , solder a wire to it or get the appropriate Terminal

Is it 'just' for visual deterrant to stop thieves Carlo?

I toyed with the idea of one for a while but decided against in the end (I've the kids in the back now and again and couldn't really afford to push the seat back any further to allow for the extra clearance needed for the extended steering column). I fitted a kill switch instead which is in a great spot and took some time to get used to finding it even though I knew where to look/feel. The switch fitted was cheaper than a snap off, and if you wanted a visual deterrant a disc-lock (I use one when parked in Belfast city centre every day) is bright yellow and supposed to be one of the security measures more likely to deter a prospective thief from trying.

Is it 'just' for visual deterrant to stop thieves Carlo?

I toyed with the idea of one for a while but decided against in the end (I've the kids in the back now and again and couldn't really afford to push the seat back any further to allow for the extra clearance needed for the extended steering column). I fitted a kill switch instead which is in a great spot and took some time to get used to finding it even though I knew where to look/feel. The switch fitted was cheaper than a snap off, and if you wanted a visual deterrant a disc-lock (I use one when parked in Belfast city centre every day) is bright yellow and supposed to be one of the security measures more likely to deter a prospective thief from trying.

Just added security, I reckon it is the best security you can have on your car even over an alarm!

The car came in from Japan with one (Odula) but it had play in it, plus she has a short boss kit so the steering wheel is a bit too far away (bolted to the hub on its own). I need to move the sit forward but my legs are a bit cramped now.

I could get the driftworks one but it is a chiense manufactured Item( I believe you pay for what you get); I just would prefer to have something TUV/FIA approved , piece of mind it will not come off! I dont want to end up writing the car off for the sake of 178 euro.

I am sure the the driftworks will suffice but I just dont thrust them after the Identical ebay looking Item, they are copy of the works bell kit.

If I get a driftworks Item ; a cheap ebay item can be easily bought for very littler euro to fit the hub ball lock system , rendering it useless as a security device.

What i liked about the Odula item is nobody knew what it was and it was not easily available or known so you cant just buy a cheap item on ebay to fit the hub, making it an effective security measure.

I used to make touring car quick releases, if one like this is any use i can

possibly get you one.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/steering-wheel-bosses-accessories/demon-tweeks-quick-release-bolt-on-touring-car-boss

Thanks Dunk, but after owning a Spline design and reading they do suffer with Play I am just a bit wearly of the spline design.

Snapoff R1000H does state it has zero play plus the FIA but more so the TUV approval is what I like to see

Thanks Dunk, but after owning a Spline design and reading they do suffer with Play I am just a bit wearly of the spline design.

Snapoff R1000H does state it has zero play plus the FIA but more so the TUV approval is what I like to see

No problem mate, i'm surprised about them having play in them though, the ones

i used to make were a very good fit and had no play. Perhaps for daily use in a rd

car they could suffer wear on the splines i guess.

If you want one that will last and never have any play buy a works bell kit, not cheap though...

I think the Snapoff R1000H looks like a better piece of kit plus cheaper if you factor in Customs and VAT

I would be 99% sure my 30 euro ball lock Ebay quick release unit would fit the hub, rendering it a very aesthically expensive item. I know they have covers you can lock but thats any extra 60 euro ontop of the 278 euro minus VAT and Customs

I can get the snap off R1000H all in for 278 euro

I'd have thought if you did get some play in a splined one you could be able to

just get it re hard anodised and it would be as good as new

I was talking to the local motorsport guys here and didnt mention it; as the car had it from Japan I dont have a clue how old it is, it may just be wear N tear after X years. I am just afraid to take the chance at around 300 euro (minus customs and Shipping) .Even reading on the web; the Spline designs seem to have play a certain amount of play, I am a bit reserved to buy any of them especially online, incase I did have issues

http://www.rhdjapan.com/odula-universal-quick-release-boss-adapter-17692

The unit I have, I cannot see anything worn on it but once its on the car it does rattle if you lightly hold the wheel or try to move the wheel up and down

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)