The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heating your garage over the winter to keep the supra warm

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Right, I'm sure alot of you do this, now I don't have a huge amount of space in my garage so at the moment im using a halogen heater, I intend to replace this with an oil filled one shortly but in the meantime will it do the job? and if so is there any risk of it damaging my paint? it sits around half a meter away from the car in the corner of the garage turning left to right at 800W

Any help would be appreciated, it's getting cold!! :(

People seriously do this? It's bad enough you put your car away for the winter in the first place. Mental.

To be fair I agree that heating the garage is a step too far but I wouldn't dream of leaving my car parked up outside (my brake discs would go rusty :D)

500mm sounds close, does the paint get hot?

Heated garage is a nice thing to have, i only heat mine if im working out there, aside from maybe the battery the cold wont do the car any harm, i use a CTEK smart charger if i think i might not drive it for a couple of weeks.

Guest Nicholas
500mm sounds close, does the paint get hot?

Heated garage is a nice thing to have, i only heat mine if im working out there, aside from maybe the battery the cold wont do the car any harm, i use a CTEK smart charger if i think i might not drive it for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the replies all, perhaps I'm going a bit OTT with a heater.

Jamie, which CTEK charger did you go for?

Guest Nicholas
The XS3600 charger is good too.

Just read some fantastic reviews of these, it seems a lot of show car owners keep their cars on charge 24x7 with one of these, purchase pending! Thanks Havard.

Why not take the battery out or just disconnect the earth lead?

I understand supras are baby's to us but does it really need to be wrapped in cotton wool ?

Do any off these supras that get pampered ever get driven in anger or do they cruise about the good months off the year?

I can understand a car cover , carcoon and a garage but what's the story with keeping it warm?

Sorry for all the questions and hope I don't rock the boat to much but good god it's a car :D

Qst about these trickle chargers... You can connect it to your car without taken or disconnecting the battery and it won't cause any damage ... Do you have to undo the vents on the top of the battery ??

I going to investing one of these

No and No, just hook it up and forget about it as it also is a battery conditioner too. I have the XS3600 too and it has a setting for cold weather.