The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Braided Brake Line Advice

MattP

Hi Guys I currently have my N/A J spec supra at a local garage having some work done to ensure it passes its M.O.T.

I have had the car roughly a year and it came with M.O.T however amongst a few other things during the course of the year one of the brake pipe hardlines burst at that time I had the pipe in question replaced but it was brought to my attention that the brake lines in general were not in the best of condition.

Also one of the front rubber hoses had seemingly been coated in black tape to hide a slit anyway I Digress...

I Am having all the hardlines replaces and have been looking into these braided brake line kits to replace the tired OEM units and although there are various kits etc I was really looking for Supra Owners Feedback On any improvements Gained. And which Brand To go for along with Rough price to be paid for said items.

Any Feedback Welcome

Regards Matt

hi matt, very good mod in my opinion, brakes feel more responsive, less spongy. not a difficult job to do. i have carbon ones which i bought new from a member on here

CW sells them i think or Goodridge do a kit which i have on my car, approx £60

for front and rear.

HEL also do a kit for the mkiv

http://www.brake-lines.co.uk £65

While your doing this it would pay to get the calipers

thoroughly checked over to see what state they are in.

Do you have the smaller j spec brakes 2 piston front single

piston rear sliding caliper type or the larger uk spec 4 piston

fronts 2 piston rears.

The outer seals when old perish and split letting dirt and moisture

get to the pistons causing them to seize. Also on the j spec's the

the calipers seize on the sliding pins.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Goodridge are probably the way to go, although the Do Luck ones are good too. If CW can supply any I'm sure they will be up to par also.

As mentioned though, a very good upgrade regardless of which brakes you have. I'd also take the time to have a look over the calipers, pads and discs as well as changing the fluid whilst you're at it.

• 2 years later...

The HEL and derivatives were not a good fit. Too little thread engagement on the hard line unions, and the circlip grooves were not the right depth for the stock spring steel U section clips on the chassis tabs. Goodridge are a much better fit. Be careful you get true stainless, some Chinese ones are galvanized steel braid, and they WILL rust and possibly burst. You get what you pay for. I no longer sell these, but if I need braided lines for a job i make my own with known branded fittings and Earls or Aeroquip hose.

The HEL and derivatives were not a good fit. Too little thread engagement on the hard line unions, and the circlip grooves were not the right depth for the stock spring steel U section clips on the chassis tabs. Goodridge are a much better fit. Be careful you get true stainless, some Chinese ones are galvanized steel braid, and they WILL rust and possibly burst. You get what you pay for. I no longer sell these, but if I need braided lines for a job i make my own with known branded fittings and Earls or Aeroquip hose.

I think on the Ebay site it has the option of stainless steel being £127 and zinc being about £75. It's a shame the Hel ones are a bad fitment as I would of rather brought from them than Ebay.

Galvanised braid is utterly dangerous, the burst pressure proofing is in the braid itself, if it rusts the burst point drops like a stone. A few microns of galvanising

will rub through just with the hose flex with suspension motion. I suspect they are

illegal under Construction and Use legislation. I have seen what a corrode galvanised braid can do on my steam cleaner hose, once it deteriorates it

may as well not be there at all. STAINLESS braid ONLY! Or keep the stock rubber ones.

Galvanised braid is utterly dangerous, the burst pressure proofing is in the braid itself, if it rusts the burst point drops like a stone. A few microns of galvanising

will rub through just with the hose flex with suspension motion. I suspect they are

illegal under Construction and Use legislation. I have seen what a corrode galvanised braid can do on my steam cleaner hose, once it deteriorates it

may as well not be there at all. STAINLESS braid ONLY! Or keep the stock rubber ones.

It seems crazy they can sell them with zinc when you put it like that.

• 1 month later...