The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UPDATE: Something's Gone Wrong!

Fitz

Well after recently replacing the spark plugs on the N/A we thought it would be a good idea to get brand new HT Leads, Rotor Arm & Distributor Cap just so all was in brand new condition.

We went through a 'Parrot' process making sure all the wires were correct in the distributor cap and making sure they went in the correct Spark Plug slot numbering the wires.

Now, I have no idea what has happened here but now when I start the car there is a rattling noise from (I believe) the camshaft area. We made sure not to drop anything anywhere and were very precise in doing so and can't imagine any way in which something would have got in there or what?

Is it possible to throw the timing off when changing leads, cap and rotor arm? As I wouldn't have thought so.

Any help would be appreciated as I fear I may have to take the cam covers off and look internally at the camshafts to see if there is a foreign object bouncing around.

The rattling does sound like something is hitting metal and bouncing around...not good - wish I would have just stuck to the Spark plugs now :(

Cheers,

Cliff

Edited by Fitz (see edit history)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could have messed up the firing order if the leads went in the wrong places but then I don't think it would turn over. Not sure what you could have done to make things rattle, unless one of the plugs wasn't tightened properly

did you disturb the 12mm nut that holds the dizzy housing?

are the pugs properly tightend, make sure you havent over tightend them as the alloy head is soft and can be easily damaged. if you plugs are thewrong way around it will turn over and depending what plug is where you can get a metalic sound if its causing a pre det

You could have messed up the firing order if the leads went in the wrong places but then I don't think it would turn over. Not sure what you could have done to make things rattle, unless one of the plugs wasn't tightened properly

All leads are numbered so checked and double checked before they went on. The leads on the N/A go in ascending order from the radiator to the windscreen.

Did you ever run it after the plugs change and before the other bits?

Yup, ran the car a few times and had a few spirited drives too. I did take the plugs out on a few as the new leads didn't 'plug' onto the top of some but all was rectified.

Is the rotor arm on properly? I'd take the dizzy cap off and just check

Rotor arm can only go on one way and was secured in place during removal to ensure no movement

did you disturb the 12mm nut that holds the dizzy housing?

are the pugs properly tightend, make sure you havent over tightend them as the alloy head is soft and can be easily damaged. if you plugs are thewrong way around it will turn over and depending what plug is where you can get a metalic sound if its causing a pre det

The Dizzy housing was left alone, only the cap was removed and the rotor arm. All spark plugs went in the correct way and were tightened to similar resistance but not over tightened. HT leads were all matched from old to new numerically as all the wires were numbered.

Also if you ha e taken the dizzy out all together, you need to make sure 2 line the 2marks up in the dizzy and the dizzy gear cog on the end ;)

Only the cap and rotor arm were changed the housing was still in place, so no need to worry about alignment and TDC ;)

Thanks for your help so far guys, keep them coming as I may have overlooked something.

did you lose any washers nuts etc when doing the plugs etc, could something have droped into the inlet manifold? an end of the spark plug (screw terminal)

if it was the distributor/rotor arm i would have thought the noise would be regular, I lost a ballbearing years ago for a carb down the intake and that made an irratic sound similar to yours.

regards chris

ps. lets us know what it was as it could help others?

Hearing it first hand it seems to be coming from the camshaft area like something is being thrown around as the cams turn. Fan area seems to be operating as normal and no noise is apparent from there.

Think it will be a 'head off' jobby!

Mate that does not sound good at all...

So did it drive fine when you gave it a test run then the rattle happened or did it happen as soon as you turned the key with new plugs in etc

If it was me I would not be starting it again, I would recheck everything I had done.. Start by taking the plugs Out....Making sure the new ones still look ok and are gapped correctly .... Getting a magnet and making sure nothing is in the bores just to make sure

I can't tell from the vid if that's a internal rattle..something coming from inside of the engine or something lose

Guest Deriick

Have you done a compression check?? Sounds to me like a nackerd inlet gasket, did you say in your video that you reckon the prolem lies there?

Definatly get a hold of a compression checker make sure you have a constant cylinder presure

Mate that does not sound good at all...

So did it drive fine when you gave it a test run then the rattle happened or did it happen as soon as you turned the key with new plugs in etc

If it was me I would not be starting it again, I would recheck everything I had done.. Start by taking the plugs Out....Making sure the new ones still look ok and are gapped correctly .... Getting a magnet and making sure nothing is in the bores just to make sure

I can't tell from the vid if that's a internal rattle..something coming from inside of the engine or something lose

I initially changed the spark plugs on the car by itself however, as it was getting late in the evening I only changed Plugs #1 #2 #5 and #6. Fired the car up, lovely all was fine and took her on a short drive. That weekend I took the throttle body off (well slide it out the way) and changed #3 and #4. I didnt start the car from then but carried on.

Then after changing the sparks acorss we changed the Dizzy Cap, Rotor arm them put new HT leads on. When we fired it up after reassembling everything....that noise was there.

I've changed the Dizzy cap back to OEM and fired it up still rattles. Changed a few shifty looking leads, still rattles.

It does sound as if something is moving as the rattling scatters through to cam shaft (i.e. its not staying in one place and 'knocking')

Cam may have broke !, remove spark plugs and see if you can borrow an endoscope check inside, then remove rocker covers

Do not run anymore

I think removing the Rocker Covers will be the best way forward if I'm honest

Have you done a compression check?? Sounds to me like a nackerd inlet gasket, did you say in your video that you reckon the prolem lies there?

Definatly get a hold of a compression checker make sure you have a constant cylinder presure

Haven't done a compression check, this engine was only installed about 1,000 miles ago by Keron after I blew a HG on the old one. In the video I mentioned that my thoughts would be with plugs #3 and #4 as those were the only plugs we changed after it ran fine previously.

If you've had the TB off then something could have dropped into the inlet manifold. Get one of those magnetic telescopic grabs and stick it down the plug holes and see if anything comes out. I found a vacuum cleaner and some silicon tube is also a handy mod for removing those "Oh Sh1t!" moments from the bores, valve and turbo area;)

Lyndon.

Any news on this mate

Not yet mate. Haven't had time to go over it. I only use the Supra on Weekends as I commute to work.

Been indoors looking after the mrs and the newborn the last weekend(s) but I will update this with pics and a report when I get underway.