The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Invoice from Garage

_Shane_

Hi All,

My Supra is currently at a garage having some new parts fitted and i received the below invoice the other day. Still the car is not finished and mapping and ecu fitting is not even done yet.

I am just wondering if the below charges would be acceptable to you (the owner of the car etc)

Remove Apexi Boost controller - £75 (1.5 hours labor)

Strip rocker covers / Intake piping / Fan / Coolant / Timing cover / Intake manifold and ancillaries - £225 (4.5 hours labor)

Crankbolt overtightened - remove gearbox plate / lock flywheel / loosen bolt and remove pulley / timing belt and tensioner - £200 (4.0 hours labor)

Remove standard cams / Fit HKS cams, vernier pulleys and tensioner - £200 (4.0 hours labor)

Time engine / Fit belt & covers - £50 (1.0 hour labor)

Clean up cam covers and mod fitting strip - £50 (1.0 hour labor)

Modify cam covers, measure valve clearances - £75 (1.5 hours labor)

Genuine Toyota Timing Belt x 1 - £36.68

Coil pack electrical plugs x 6 - £45.72

Cam shim clearence too tight - Re-remove timing belt / cams / pulleys / buckets. Remove shims and measure. Refits buckets / Cams / Pulleys / Timing Belt / Crank Pulley - £100 (2.0 hours labor)

Total Net Amount 881.25

Carriage Net 0.00

Total VAT Amount 176.24

Invoice Total 1,057.49

I gave the garage the following parts

HKS 264 cams brand new in the box - fitted

Brand new adjustable pulleys - fitted

Brand new KU engineering intake manifold and 80mm TB - half fitted, had to machine some washers for the injector seats or something like that and have to modify pipework for fmic

Battery relocation - not fitted yet, quoted about 2 hours labor for this, advised that if battery tray was to be welded into space behind rear seats that they would be looking at stripping out rear interior and also danger as right above fuel tank, opting now to just drill through battery tray and bolt it to floor (which in my opinion is perfectly fine, whatever secures the battery im happy with)

AEM Ecu and extras - still in box not fitted / mapped

Dash2 race dash - still in box

The price of the work completed to date has gone over what was given as an estimate, some things above i didnt really accept well as in removing the boost controller and been charged £75 for that. Also been charged for clearance issues with the cams, shouldnt this have been spotted when fitting them in the first place

anyway i just want you guys opinion on the charges so far that i have been given

Thanks in advance

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all,

my supra is currently at a garage having some new parts fitted and i received the below invoice the other day. Still the car is not finished and mapping and ecu fitting is not even done yet.

I am just wondering if the below charges would be acceptable to you (the owner of the car etc)

remove apexi boost controller - £75 (1.5 hours labor)

hour, if that!

Strip rocker covers / intake piping / fan / coolant / timing cover / intake manifold and ancillaries - £225 (4.5 hours labor)

2 hours or there abouts

crankbolt overtightened - remove gearbox plate / lock flywheel / loosen bolt and remove pulley / timing belt and tensioner - £200 (4.0 hours labor)

joke! You get 3.5 hours book time to replace a timing belt by toyota!!

Remove standard cams / fit hks cams, vernier pulleys and tensioner - £200 (4.0 hours labor)

tensioner for what? It's less than an hour to remove cams and refit others without reshim etc!

Time engine / fit belt & covers - £50 (1.0 hour labor)

half hour, that's with a tea break!

Clean up cam covers and mod fitting strip - £50 (1.0 hour labor)

mod strip?

Modify cam covers, measure valve clearances - £75 (1.5 hours labor)

the only reasonable price i can see!

Genuine toyota timing belt x 1 - £36.68

good price

coil pack electrical plugs x 6 - £45.72

shite price! I paid £30 for a set of 6 that's when i lost a lot of discount when ownership of the dealer swapped over!

Cam shim clearence too tight - re-remove timing belt / cams / pulleys / buckets. Remove shims and measure. Refits buckets / cams / pulleys / timing belt / crank pulley - £100 (2.0 hours labor)

why is this 2 hours when they quoted previous? And why bolt everything back on before checking cam clearance?

Total net amount 881.25

carriage net 0.00

total vat amount 176.24

invoice total 1,057.49

i gave the garage the following parts

hks 264 cams brand new in the box - fitted

brand new adjustable pulleys - fitted

brand new ku engineering intake manifold and 80mm tb - half fitted, had to machine some washers for the injector seats or something like that and have to modify pipework for fmic

battery relocation - not fitted yet, quoted about 2 hours labor for this, advised that if battery tray was to be welded into space behind rear seats that they would be looking at stripping out rear interior and also danger as right above fuel tank, opting now to just drill through battery tray and bolt it to floor (which in my opinion is perfectly fine, whatever secures the battery im happy with)

aem ecu and extras - still in box not fitted / mapped

dash2 race dash - still in box

the price of the work completed to date has gone over what was given as an estimate, some things above i didnt really accept well as in removing the boost controller and been charged £75 for that. Also been charged for clearance issues with the cams, shouldnt this have been spotted when fitting them in the first place

anyway i just want you guys opinion on the charges so far that i have been given

thanks in advance

hth!

I've done some of that myself.

Crank pulley off, new one on - took me 45 minutes

Remove boost controller - 15 minutes max (greddy dsbc)

Remove intake piping, fan, coolant etc - about 30 minutes. I didn't do the rocker covers though, but they can't take 4 hrs surely.

I'm not a mechanic, and I did the crank pulley in a carpark, with a breaker bar and torque wrench on my own.

You've been had mate.

Edited by listy (see edit history)

I dont understand why its all itemised, i think the issue for me is why they do one job and stop doing it like that will take longer no doubt.

From what i can see, they have done a cambelt change, fitted new cams with pulleys. a bit excessive yes

I dont understand why its all itemised, i think the issue for me is why they do one job and stop doing it like that will take longer no doubt.

From what i can see, they have done a cambelt change, fitted new cams with pulleys. a bit excessive yes

Probably in an attempt to justify the hours spent. Epic fail.

I tried to tell you on a previous thread that they didn't know what they were doing with a supra.

The front crank pulley bolts are tight and you need the correct tools to do it right.

Its a shame you didn't just bring the car to me as originally planed. :shrug: