The mkiv Supra Owners Club

21st December EU ruling on insurance

Ian C

A friend has just got insurance on a civic type R, they mentioned that its all now ?! So I'm not sure if they've brought it in to effect early as he said they had loads of options etc like a compulsary box fittet to monitor driving, and if you don't want it in... Well his insurance went from 78 pm to 93 because he said he didn't want the box in, and they wanted 100 pound just to protect his no-claims ! You just can't win :(

Insurance companies will charge what they want regardless. I had one underwriter providing quotes for two companies, and kept beating their own quote :rolleyes:

Will make no difference.

Eh? - The underwriter is the person who writes the Insurance at the insurance company. How could he work for 2 companies at the same time? Do you mean broker perhaps?

Insurers have been approaching the male/female thing for a while now and the introduction of the 'black boxes' is just one of those methods.

I thought this was in place already?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/motorinsurance/9128151/Womens-car-insurance-to-cost-360-more-thanks-to-new-EU-ruling.html

I say about time, you should some of the drivers in London it is shocking. My friends wife has failed her test 4 times and has been taking lessons for 3 years now!! I told her to give up and take a hint, she said no way, she said that she is a really good driver just that driving makes her nervous! :blink:

My little sister (who is 24 now) has been taking lessons for 2 years!! (on and off) She has never been for a test but is told she needs more lessons by her instructor! An at nearly £20 a lesson I am not surprise! She asked if she can drive my car once she passed her test and I said maybe, then few weeks ago she drove me to the station (with my elder sister instructing her) and when she parked up she drove into the kerb! So the that confirms she will never ever drive my car!!

:D

I think it's wrong to have to treat men and women equally for insurance. Assuming that women have less crashes and/or less serious crashes than men, then why shouldn't they pay less? This ruling is sexual equality gone mad IMO. What about age? Is it ageism to charge young drivers more even if they're proven to have a higher crash rate? Maybe it's discrimination to charge people who live in Moss Side more than those who live in Windsor.

If men are on average more of a risk, why not charge them more?

You didn't watch the program last night then, women have fewer crashes than men

Yes, because they are out causing them!! :D

My wife even says the same thing! She is a fairly good driver & I guess with putting up with me is more alert. I always tell her my cycles to & from work & the amount of women drivers who cut me up. Cycling creates a 6th sense so you can almost work out who is going to do it!

The most metal incident I had was when I was driving on the M1 & poodling along when I am just above to over take a red corsa which is sitting in the middle lane whilst the left it empty & then all of a sudden I see her indicate & I am think eh?! And before I knew it she moved as she indicated & slammed my brakes coming within inches of her rear bumper, my friend kacked himself.

I horned & flashed but she didn't even look up at her rear view mirror. So I go into the middle lane & she had the sat nav to the top right of the windscreen, an not at the very top either!! Me & my mate were gob smacked & came to the conclusion the sat nav said stay right & the poor girl misunderstood!!

Now if I did hit her then I'd be at fault because it would be my word against hers (unless someone witnessed it). Seeing as I was in my Silver Supra with the TRD spoiler & her in a corsa who do you think the police or even the insurer would have believed.

Anyway that was my little rant, sorry :(

Yes, because they are out causing them!! :D

My wife even says the same thing! She is a fairly good driver & I guess with putting up with me is more alert. I always tell her my cycles to & from work & the amount of women drivers who cut me up. Cycling creates a 6th sense so you can almost work out who is going to do it!

The most metal incident I had was when I was driving on the M1 & poodling along when I am just above to over take a red corsa which is sitting in the middle lane whilst the left it empty & then all of a sudden I see her indicate & I am think eh?! And before I knew it she moved as she indicated & slammed my brakes coming within inches of her rear bumper, my friend kacked himself.

I horned & flashed but she didn't even look up at her rear view mirror. So I go into the middle lane & she had the sat nav to the top right of the windscreen, an not at the very top either!! Me & my mate were gob smacked & came to the conclusion the sat nav said stay right & the poor girl misunderstood!!

Now if I did hit her then I'd be at fault because it would be my word against hers (unless someone witnessed it). Seeing as I was in my Silver Supra with the TRD spoiler & her in a corsa who do you think the police or even the insurer would have believed.

Anyway that was my little rant, sorry :(

Reminds me of the time a bloke in a white Supra pulled out into the fast lane and almost wiped out a French dude on Dragonball.:p

Reminds me of the time a bloke in a white Supra pulled out into the fast lane and almost wiped out a French dude on Dragonball.:p

That is exactly what happened!! :D

That really scared the hell outta me and the first time I have ever done that in my life, even though I have been driving aboard dozens of times! The funniest thing was when they went passed I was saying 'I am really sorry' and they were both grinning giving me the thumbs up, both must have been at least 60!!

:D

About time too. I'm all for equality but it has to work both ways.

There actually used to be an advert in the Yellow pages for a female only insurance company that had a big banner saying "DON'T PAY FOR MEN'S INCOMPETANCE". WTF? If you put that in writing that for any other demographic group you would get hung drawn and quartered.

I did read once that the reason why statistically women claim for fewer accidents than men is because they are more often than not named drivers on their partner's insurance policy. I'm not sure if it actually pans out like this in the paperwork at claim time, though, because depsite being penisly challenged I have never had to make a car insurance claim.

I do find it surprising that women allegedly have a lower accident rate than men. They might well have more accidents, but perhaps they're low-speed "fender-bender" accidents or dings, whereas when men crash, perhaps they cause more damage in terms of money to fix it. When insurance companies are setting premiums, they'd be most interested in the average amount of damage caused by a person in whatever demographic group (e.g. man/woman) you fall in to, rather than the number of crashes for the group.

I digress. Assuming that women drivers on average cause insurers to pay out less than men, then I still don't see a problem with taking sex into account. It's a legitimate factor when trying to estimate risk.

The sort of discrimination that should be stopped is where sex is taken into account where it has no material effect on the outcome. For example, a woman's ability to do most jobs these days is the same as a man's ability (let's ignore maternity issues, I think that's a topic for another time), so women shouldn't have either positive (where companies stipulate the workforce should be made up of at least x% women) or negative discrimination.

I did read once that the reason why statistically women claim for fewer accidents than men is because they are more often than not named drivers on their partner's insurance policy. I'm not sure if it actually pans out like this in the paperwork at claim time, though, because depsite being penisly challenged I have never had to make a car insurance claim.

Funny you mention this a friend of mine said the same thing the other day & thinking about it my car is insured under my name & she is added as a named driver.

They have never addressed a letter to her & if she did have an accident then the letter would always go to the policy holder, thus no record of her having the accident. Right?

Funny you mention this a friend of mine said the same thing the other day & thinking about it my car is insured under my name & she is added as a named driver.

They have never addressed a letter to her & if she did have an accident then the letter would always go to the policy holder, thus no record of her having the accident. Right?

I'm pretty sure the insurance company would have a record of a named driver being involved in a crash, if that's what's happened. They would need to send correspondance to the policy holder because that's the only name/address pair they will have (a named driver doesn't necessarily live at the same address as the main driver). My OH was involved in an accident (not her fault), and my insurer recorded the fact the she was involved, not me.