The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My new Supra TT project

Nikue

Hi Everyone

I have already been on the forums for 2 weeks but finally picked up my Supra over the weekend.

It’s a Japanese Spec N reg modified Supra with a fair few mods and importantly for me it is standard on the outside and its black. The only problem with it is that the 1st turbo does not kick in. I have factored in the fix for this when it came to making an offer. Everything else is fine although the battery does not hold a full charge since its been stood for 2 years.

I intend to do lots of servicing to it and give it a go with the complicated bits with my neighbour who is a mechanical engineer. I think I have been a bit inspired by that dire programme classic car restoration and since this is my 3rd car there is no rush to get it fixed.

Some of the changes I will be doing is removing all the extra gauges in the car and consolidating them into the DIN aperture, Fog light removal into rear cluster, refurbing the seats to leather, different style alloys (maybe standard) and changing the steering wheel. There is a red switch cover hiding a toggle switch but have no idea what it is. Maybe a boost control switch??

Its had a bit of work done at Thor Racing including a 450 bhp rolling road run. Maybe someone will recognize the car from the pics. I have still to put the bag of receipts and paperwork into a nice folder and will probably find some more bits done to it as I read through them all.

The current spec as I see it is:

TEIN SUPERSTREET COILOVERS

BLITZ NUR SPEC EXHAUST

BLITZ FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER

HKS AIR FILTER

HKS VERNIER CAM PULLEYS

VGK SPARK PLUGS

ROSINI BRAKE DISCS

TURBOSMART BOOST CONTROLLER

EMANAGE PIGGYBACK ECU

GREDDY BOOST/OIL/COOLANT GAUGES

OZ ALLOYS

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

First thing would be to check the car isn't running in TTC (true twin conversion) mode, this is when both turbo's come on boost at the same time rather than being sequential. If you post up the dyno graph we will be able to tell you if it was running TTC. :)

And if I were you I would cover up the cam pulleys(nice as they are) and protect the timing belt. You could fit a clear perspex cover and still show them off.

Nice plans, removing the extra gauges will also remove some of the extra wires that are draped around the engine bay.

As for the red switch, it's most probably the rear fog light or the ejector seat, switch it and find out. :)

Good purchase. 1st turbo could be something as simple as a split hose or as already said car may be in TTC mode.

check your boost pipes, this is a common way to put the car in TTC so make sure yours is the opposite:

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/mechanical/ttc/ttc.htm

also Ian C's sequential system bible:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35926-The-sequential-system

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35924-Sequential-turbo-hoses

Good luck! :)

They are 18 inch OZ alloys - so a decent make and I think they could be lightweight.

Im based in central Birmingham - Edgbaston. Getting the foundation sorted this weekend for what will be a 3m wide by 6 m wide wooden shed. Plan to have a wooden work bench at the end and a good couple sq meters work area. Nice heater in the corner and some decent electronic trance from Proton FM and I am in the zone :cool: The garage will also be useful to mates if they need to do some work on their cars in the future as well.

Reading through the forums I am seriously tempted to do a single turbo conversion I am not sure the auto gearbox box with 80k miles will be able to handle any more then 500 bhp. I dont want a manual since I prefer auto. Something to definatly consider if the turbo fault ends up being the unit itself. :think:

Good luck with your plans, first off give Chris Wilson a call and get some decent filter

material for you HKS induction kit, the HKS filters are crap

I wouldn't worry about exposed cam belt and pulleys, mines been open for years

and never had a problem.

I would however change the the cover you have as that looks awful the way its

been cut.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)