The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nos kit advice require please

Suprakeith

A mate of mine is selling his nos kit and am very intrested in getting it and fitting to my n/a.

The kit is a wet system and comes with all the bits needed to fit is also has a purge system on it, he ran a 75 shot on a micro switch under accelarator pedal,

i was thinking if buy change the nozzle to 50 shot and fit a switch to use to nos getting rid of micro switch under pedal and use the nos for lower revs as when cars gets to 4k she does come on song. it also has the fuel nozzle to run more fuel when use kit.

questions is do people think be good idea to run off button instead of micro switch under pedal and what problems am i likely to have? plus i ran a 15 dead at santa pod this year if fit nos how much of improvement am i looking at?

I know couple of questions but never had nos before and wanted to get advice to help me decide best route

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Will be as safe as applying it at any rpm. as long as the afr is right, and the mixture of fuel is correct the ecu will run normally.

apart from the obvious increase in knock with sudden increase in o2 the torque using nos is supposed to be very high with the sudden increase in power.

make sure you have a progressive controller, just sending in a 75bhp shot probably wouldn't do your engine as much good as with a progessie controller which sends it in over a 0.2-1 second interval for example.

im still looking into it, so im no guru. but id list everything you have on the kit, and maybe some people with more knowledge would be able to advise further or point out better advice than mine.

have you done much research on it?

I havent done much research myself was just thinking about it as someone i know selling a kit i would only put in a 50bhp shot on nos think 75 would be too high and dont want to risk damaging engine, i will ask for a list of everything from the bloke selling nos kit

You say its a NA so wouldnt a 75 shot give you around 300hp? I thought the engine internals could take more than double that figure....

She is a NA and didnt think would 75 shot would be safe am just trying to find out if its worth it thats all, as never had nos and dont really know many people who have used it, so am trying to find out best way to run it and set it up so get most of it, and do think your right do think the internals could take it as the na-t supras run more than 300bhp

Im the same mate im trying to find out a bit too as ive seen a kit for sale that I want. I think hp is hp at the end of the day whether its nitrous petrol or race fuel so theres no reason why you cant just get an aftermarket ecu and have a 150 shot progressivley controlled given you the equivalent to a small single.

- - - Updated - - -

I know of someone running 150shot on NA, and its been fine, but do it progressively so you can be sure your engine can take it...

Beat me to it :)

I know of someone running 150shot on NA, and its been fine, but do it progressively so you can be sure your engine can take it...

So take it would be very good idea to get a progresive controller or after market ecu? if did go the ecu route what one would be best to run the plus at later date when go na-t be able to run turbo set up aswell?

So take it would be very good idea to get a progresive controller or after market ecu? if did go the ecu route what one would be best to run the plus at later date when go na-t be able to run turbo set up aswell?

Look for a second hand or even new syvecs mate would be your best bet. There a more common ecu too and are good enough for most setups right up to 1000hp+

An aftermarket ECU is a bad idea purely for nos IMO.

A controller will be alot cheaper, he won't need a remap and unless he spends a fair amount he won't get a ECU that can hold various map's, with/without nos.

AND unless it's a spankingly amazing ECU it won't be a progressive shot

Plus, an old emange is around the same price as a bran spanking controller (equipment depending).

I'm running nitrous on my NA and have bin for about 2 years now with no problems, currently running 100shot single port with controler. I spend a fair amount of time looking through nitrous forums and the main problems with nitrous Is some of the kits are not as good as others and the solinoids give up after a short time. Some kits also hit harder than others with is not really what you want.

You should be ok running a 50shot without a controler but it would be better for your gearbox if you did have one. but I wouldn't have it on a button for you to press as you don't want to set it off by mistake when your not at WOT.

What make of kit are you looking at?

If you want anymore info on my set up just let me know.

This thread is pretty interesting!

Looking into that nos thing for quite some time now!

The thing that holds me back is timing retard.

I'm running a Mine's ECU that has advanced timing.

I wouldn't want my car to run with retarded timing all the time.

So I'm searching for some kind of electronic controller that retads timing just when nitrous is activated.

Do you guys know if something like this exists that could be mated with a progressive controller on the NA Supra?

Regards, Herbert

This thread is pretty interesting!

Looking into that nos thing for quite some time now!

The thing that holds me back is timing retard.

I'm running a Mine's ECU that has advanced timing.

I wouldn't want my car to run with retarded timing all the time.

So I'm searching for some kind of electronic controller that retads timing just when nitrous is activated.

Do you guys know if something like this exists that could be mated with a progressive controller on the NA Supra?

Regards, Herbert

Hi

I've not touched the timming on mine and not had any problems.

Not 100% sure but Doesnt the ecu retard the timming if it gets knock? Shouldn't really need to change it unless you plan on running a lot of nitrous.

Thanks for your reply.

The thing is that my Mine's ECU has a different map than the OEM ECU.

So when I contacted Mine's to get to know the spec of my ECU they told me that it has advanced timing compared to stock.

So I'm concerned regarding NOS as you should to the opposite when spraying...

Regards, Herbert

PS: I'd run a 75 shot...