The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FOSTA'S how to fit a basic NA-T kit

FOSTA

As i see more and more people asking about how to go na-t, im going to try and explain how to fit a basic single turbo to the 2jz-ge engine.

This will be with the cheapest parts which isnt always the best way to go, but it seems that quite a few people dont have any problems doing it this way.

NOTICE: the chance of having to slightly modify cheaper parts to make them fit, is quite high!

A few problems i stumbled accross in doing it this way:

. cheap manifold did not quite fit so i had to mill the holes out for it to fit over the studs, also it was quite badly warped so i had an engineer (hodge) reface it.

. the down pipe was slightly catching on the manifold so i had to slightly modify it.

. the cheap wastgate failed on me after a few months (but up to now i seem to be the only na-ter with this cheap wastgate fail).

ok from the start you need to decide whether you want to buy in kit form (like i did) or sorce the parts yourself.

Ok this is what the kit form will look like or similer:

depending on what kit you buy it should have everything you need apart from engine managemet system. you may also want to look into buying a good boost controller and boost gauge along with a wideband kit. (these will not come with the kit and i highly recommend getting them).

ok lets get cracking!

1. start buy taking your air filter box off and ducting that connects to the throttle body.

2. now start to remove the rusty bolts off the exhaust heat shield and remove the heatshield itself.

3. disconnect the 2 gray plastic plugs from the lambda sensors.

4. jack the car up and use axel stands to correctly support the car, next undo the 2 rusty bolts that connect the 1st catalytic converter to the midpipe (2nd cat).

5. now go the the engine bay and undo the nuts on the exhaust manifold itself, once undone you should be able to pull the manifold out into the engine bay with the 1st cat still attached.

6. now test fit the new turbo manifold, if it fits your good to go! but if it dosnt then you will need to work out how you will make it fit (thats if you can). also check the face of the new manifold for warpage.

7. DRILLING THE OIL PAN! This was the worst part for me. ok i did this with the engine still fitted, you will need to get back under the car and undo the bolt for the drivers side engine mount. then get a second jack and a block of wood and put the wood on the jack and place the jack under the sump and start to slowly jack the engine up a few inches (this is just to give you a bit more room to work with).

i then purchased a cheep 90 degree drill adaptor from ebay. now first off start by drilling out the big hole in the sump, use white greese and take it slow (the reason for using grease is so that the aluminum shavings stick to it, but take it slow and keep cleaning and regreasing). now once the holes cut make sure to clean the hole from all alu shavings.

(IT WILL BE SAFER TO TAKE THE SUMP OFF TO DRILL IT!)

now decide what size bolts you are going to use for the oil return plate and pick the correct sized drill bit and drill the 2 existing holes to that size (remember NOT to drill all the way through!). Now tap a thread in for the bolts and fit the oil return plate along with its gasket.

8. Test fit the turbo onto the manifold along with down pipe and wastgate (its not necessary to do this but i just wanted to make sure i had all nuts and bolts band knew how to put it together)

9. fit the turbo hosing to the manifold and now fit the manifold.

10. fit the turbo body into the hosing.

11. fit downpipe to turbo and exhaust.

12. fit oil return line.

13. OIL FEED! you will need a oil housing union bolt from a lexus (cant rembember which one but you can see the part number in the picture). This bolt is exactly the same as the one that is fitted apart from it has a threaded face so you can connect the oil feed line stright up. or you can just drill and tap your existing bolt.

14. Now connect the oil feed line that came with the kit to the union bolt and run it behind the engine then round to the turbo.

15. fit the wastegate and vacuum lines.

16. start fitting your front mount intercooler, there is a few ways of fitting one so just see whats easer for yourself, i made a couple of brackets and all was good.

17. start fabricating your intercooler pipes, i found the easiest way was to run down from the throttle body through the hole where the air box is in the wing and down to the FMIC. And then from the turbo down and run it along next to the radiator then with a 180degree bend to the FMIC.

18. now you will want to fit an air filter, some people can get away with fitting a airfilter by reducing the size of induction pipework and with the aid of bends. however i couldnt work out a way of doing this so i had to fit a 4 runner distributor cap to give me more room. its a 5 minute job if you need to do it. but you will need a second #2 HT lead as your number 1 lead wont reach the new distributor. and the leads have to be switched around but i will post up the sequence tomorrow.

now just decide on what engine management system you want and get fitting it, or if your not confident get somone qualified to install it for you. and get it mapped by a professinal!

Now i may have missed somthing so feel free to add to this. and anyone with better ways of doing certain tasks please share to help others.

I really hope this helps. ;)

FITTING THE 4RUNNER DISTRIBUTOR CAP.

4 runner distributor cap.

Part no: toyota PN 19101-65040.

D =4 runner distributor cap number L= your HT LEAD number

Sequence as follows:

D1 L2

D2 L6

D3 L3

D4 L5

D5 L1

D6 L4

:)

EDIT: How to fit greddy emanage ultamate ecu on post #26

Edited by listy
Images with company name removed (see edit history)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol cheers mate, its just ive had quite a few people message me on how to go about this so i thought id try and explian with my tiny brain! lol ;)

No seriously mate, good idea. It's a good read.

I did the same with putting an aristo engine in a supra. I've done it a couple of times now and must have had 50 p.ms asking what needs changing on the Aristo engine to fit a supra. I ended up just doing a thread on it, detailing everything.

Great job Jamie, the club needs threads like this.

No seriously mate, good idea. It's a good read.

I did the same with putting an aristo engine in a supra. I've done it a couple of times now and must have had 50 p.ms asking what needs changing on the Aristo engine to fit a supra. I ended up just doing a thread on it, detailing everything.

Great job Jamie, the club needs threads like this.

thanks mate!:thumbs:

Great thread! Very useful for those planning on going NA-T. I am even tempted myself!

What sort of power levels are you hoping to achieve with this kit?

Thanks mate, these pictures where taken 2 years ago. with this kit i hit 340.4bhp @7psi. ive now fitted a custom ffim and running 372.7bhp @6.5 psi ;)

and this is how it looks today.

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

So all in how much has it cost with this kit to make it single ? And is a bigger turbo all that is needed to gain more power ? 500 600 bhp ? Nice read :)

Well first time round I think around £2000.

As with more power you will need more supporting mods, fuel pump, injectors etc. and there is it more to consider with more power like compression and will the transmission hold up!

- - - Updated - - -

I like the fact you have a TT plug cover on, looks good.

Cheers Dane ;)

4 runner distributor cap.

Part no: TBC (Anybody that knows this please post up and I'll edit it here.)

D =4 runner distributor cap number L= your HT LEAD number

Sequence as follows:

D1 L2

D2 L6

D3 L3

D4 L5

D5 L1

D6 L4

:)

This has now been edited in the first post.

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

valuable information! im currently weighing up my options weather to do this or sell and buy a mazda rx7 single..? is the emange ultimate the best and cheapest way to go??

Well it's cheep and works perfect for a basic single turbo set up, there are cheeper options and more expencive options.

As for Perfect I would say its perfect at this moment intime for me. :)