The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How can I improve my low idle?

RB-GTE

Ok so I got my 97 TT 6spd facelift a few months back.

It had problems getting started on cold start, it would keep dying but after 5-6 attempts it would stay on.

So I first checked my Idle Control Valve, it was clean inside... but I cleaned it anyways.

This didn't solve the issue, so I got my spark plugs changed to IK22's today. It should most likely solve my starting issues.

But anways, the idle for me still seems quite LOW. I thought it would improve with the plug change.

My last Supra idled like BUTTER! it sat right at around 900rpm and never went below. It was a 95 TT 6-speed.

Here is a picture of how my Supra idles on average. Is there anything else I can look into?

The low idle I have now makes the car sound quite, it shakes quite a bit... its quite annoying.

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/1767/img20121025151854.jpg

Thats exactly the rpm that they are supposed to idle at. :)

If you want it higher, then you can use the screw at the throttle body to turn it up.

Mine idles at about 650 so it is a tad low. VVTi's are meant to be in that area.

If you mess about with the screw on the throttle body you could end up in a world of pain as it sends the car mental on full boost if you get it wrong.

I imagine it's your engine and gearbox mounts that are fubar if you are getting vibration through the car. This is the problem I had a couple of years ago and new mounts fixed everything.

Wrong.

Ignore the zero, those divisions are 200 rpm each, reading is more like 300

If that was the case, then why are there FIVE marks before the 1000 rpm? If your saying that after zero they go up in 200 increments, then your up to 1000rpm before you get to the big '1'

Also to say that you think yours is around 300 rpm means your treating the '0' AND the next longer mark as zero then counting 200's after that. :blink:

Edited by SupraD06 (see edit history)