The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Finally Single Turbo!

Chris Bailey

Hello guys,

Well as some off you may or may not know (Because we've been trying to keep it under wraps) Dad managed to source a HKS T04Z Turbo Kit from Paul Whiffin. The turbo kit came off his Facelift black supra. I know me and dad both said we was happy with BPU but when this offer come up dad found it hard to refuse. Today dad took the car down to SRR (Surrey Rolling Road) and the good man Ryan mapped the car :). This morning Ryan had an issue with the HKS FCON PRO ecu which was a shame. But he come up with the goods and offered dad a Second hand Syvecs ECU which he fitted straight away:). On the first power run the car put down 553.0bhp at 1.5 bar but had a slight missfire due to the spark plugs. By the time Ryan had done a few tweeks it was time for the second power run and the car made 570.0 BHP but Ryan couldnt hold this power so the end figure was 553.0bhp which both me and dad are very happy about :D. Ryan reckons with a set of grade 8 spark plugs some bigger injectors and a better fuel pump we could be seeing 600bhp maybe even 650! :eyebrows:.

Below are the specs of the car to those who are interested and also a couple of dyno graphs :)

Full engine rebuild using ARP head studs, ARP main studs and ARP rod bolts.

Polished HKS TO4Z turbo

Boostlogic T4 manifold

HKS External Wastegate and Screamer pipe

Sard 650cc injectors

Syvecs ECU- Mapped by 2BarTuning

Full 3" Exhaust System

Whifbitz 3" Stainless Steel Singlebox Cat Back Exhaust

HKS BOV

K&N Air Filter

Whifbitz FMIC Kit

Whifbitz Aluminium Radiator

Whifbitz Catch Tank

Walbro Fuel Pump

Stock Auto Box with Whifbitz Oil Cooler

NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

Dyno Run 2.jpg

Dyno Run.jpg

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

Im on a built box with stock cams and a rebuilt head.... Do we need to upgrade cams then?

If I remember correctly 264 cams would get you another 50bhp and more low down torque. I brought it OP because as the head was taken off to rebuild the engine iit would not of been too much extra work to up grade them.

If I remember correctly 264 cams would get you another 50bhp and more low down torque. I brought it OP because as the head was taken to rebuild the engine iit would not of been too much extra work to up grade the cams.

Thats a fair bit of gain. I will be looking into upgrading in the future when I get a built engine

Yeah I was advised you were limited to about 550bhp with stock cams and you needed some nice 264s to get the best result.

Anyway...

Great result, John and Chris - I bet you're well chuffed! Is that figure at the flywheel or rear wheels, by the way? I'm not sure what SRR's figures are given in... :)

A boost increase with a misfire? That's a bit different.... :) Cams will definitely awaken the top end, but make it worse than it probably is already with an auto box. You need to keep as much torque below 3K RPM as possible with an auto box.

I can't remember exactly what Ryan said to my dad, It boosts to 1.2/1.3ish on the boost gauge then the exhaust pops and then it boosts to 1.5bar.

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

Ryan said it needs grade 8 plugs to remove the misfire which occurs at 1.5 bar so i believe he tweaked the mapping to regulate the boost between 1.2 and 1.5 to partially erradicate the misfire so we dont destroy the grade 7's

Mind you you have to be going mental to get it anywhere near misfiring.

Well happy with the set up though and how it performs - and I thought bpu was rapid.

Ryan said it needs grade 8 plugs to remove the misfire which occurs at 1.5 bar so i believe he tweaked the mapping to regulate the boost between 1.2 and 1.5 to partially erradicate the misfire so we dont destroy the grade 7's

Mind you you have to be going mental to get it anywhere near misfiring.

Well happy with the set up though and how it performs - and I thought bpu was rapid.

Well that cleared that up then! :)