The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Well chuffed :D with boot rubber price!

hazza

Finally got round to ringing main dealer for the price of my boot rubbers

And I was we'll happy

They said they will be £8.79 for the four

(Slight trade discount as I work at a garage)

Picking them up at Rayleigh dealer sat morning

Then just got to fit them....

Have heard that isn't "as" easy lol

Try to unscrew them, but it won't work.

Then, get a very sharp knife and cut/pull away the rubber, leaving the exposed screws.

Get a gas soldering iron (and take the tip off so you have a mini blow torch you can aim at the screw heads and not get the bodywork), some wet rags (to place around the bodywork when you're heating the screws, to stop heat before it does any damage), and use a screwdriver/some decent grips to work the screws every now and again during heating. You have to get the glue to melt a bit, unscrew them a bit, melt a bit again unscrew a bit again.

It's annoying but easy once you have done it once.

Try to unscrew them, but it won't work.

Then, get a very sharp knife and cut/pull away the rubber, leaving the exposed screws.

Get a gas soldering iron (and take the tip off so you have a mini blow torch you can aim at the screw heads and not get the bodywork), some wet rags (to place around the bodywork when you're heating the screws, to stop heat before it does any damage), and use a screwdriver/some decent grips to work the screws every now and again during heating. You have to get the glue to melt a bit, unscrew them a bit, melt a bit again unscrew a bit again.

It's annoying but easy once you have done it once.

Wow! Thanks mate :thumbs hopefully going to do them at the weekend :)

Really appreciate the advice

What rubbers are you on about exactly? Have you got a picture as I need to strip my car down to spray it soon and will have to probably do this.

There are 4 rubber blocks (2 pairs - left and right) about 2" by 1" in size that sit towards the back of the boot area. One part of the pair is on the body, the other on the boot lid: when closed they come together and stop the boot lid from bouncing or rattling about. When they get old they harden and the flex they once had, that absorbed all the little knocks and bangs as your drive over our imperfect roads is lost and little rattles and squeaks start.

The solution is to take them out and replace with new, fresh rubber ones.

Wow! Thanks mate :thumbs hopefully going to do them at the weekend :)

Really appreciate the advice

The ones attached to the boot lid are usually easy, the ones that need cutting/burning out are the ones on the car body. It's a bitch, don't lose your temper else you'll risk damaging something. Here's a few photos of what you're up against that I spotted when googling...

These will not be that price for all 4...

That price will be for the bottom two... Double check and let us know! ;)

Also they don't come with screws... These are separate

- - - Updated - - -

These will not be that price for all 4...

That price will be for the bottom two... Double check and let us know! ;)

Also they don't come with screws... These are separate

Wow i just used a screw driver and spanner and mine came out. Didnt need to do any of that and the rubbers were shot!

Either you were v lucky, or someone had replaced them previously (i.e. and not bothered with the glue on the screw thread that (A) is pointless overkill [thanks Toyota] and (B) makes the job such a PITA in the first place).