The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member: Can i afford a supra?

Guest silentnight

Guest silentnight

I've wanted one since I was a little child (had model supras etc)

im on a wage of £1100 a month after taxes, and I was just wondering can anyone afford a turbo supra on these kind of wages? as im really looking at getting one due to cheap insurance quotes (not something you hear very often)

Questions you need to be asking yourself, how many miles a week will you drive? Assume the quote you have is for a UK spec Supra, these rarely go on sale for less than £10k.

Its not just the buying, its the upkeep and running costs that will be the problem if your on a budget. Supra's are not cars that can be run on a shoestring budget.

Guest silentnight

difference between an import or uk supra was a tiny amount the quotes im getting are around £1000, which for my age is pretty good. im 20 with 3 years ncb

my only living costs are £400 a month which leaves me with £700

- - - Updated - - -

also ill be travelling around 350 miles a week in total

Guest silentnight

the insurance company with the cheapest quote so far was elephant i believe (but im not planning on insuring with them), it was to get a rough idea of prices and im getting similar prices from most insurers... are there any you guys would recommend trying?

If you were lucky enough to get 22mpg on the combined cycle your monthly fuel cost alone would be £450 (£5,400 p/a). This is assuming 1,500 miles per month with fuel @ £1.45p/l.

I for one would be looking at cheaper commuting options given the circumstances.

Guest silentnight

do you think it would work out cheaper then if i was to commute in something like a 305 1.5 diesel? or a 1.0 Micra? etc

insurance is an extra £300 a year to have this as a commuter + running costs of another car etc

Depends on the costs involved in running the second vehicle against what it would cost to do the same

in the supra.

2 lots of tax, insurance etc etc so unless you buy something that is cheap with little depreciation

and does a chunk more mpg wise it might not be such a great saving.

Guest silentnight

what do you do as a job? also you have to think that your probaly spending a lot more monthly to live than i am... (im assuming you arnt left with £1600 after your bills and you spend that on your supra each month)

Questions you need to be asking yourself, how many miles a week will you drive? Assume the quote you have is for a UK spec Supra, these rarely go on sale for less than £10k.

Its not just the buying, its the upkeep and running costs that will be the problem if your on a budget. Supra's are not cars that can be run on a shoestring budget.

I can't shift my uk spec for 6k. I'd dream to get 10 from it. And it's been for sale for ages. And it's not a dog ether

I ran my supra on a similar wage. But I drove and still do about 5 miles a day. But I had no rent and no mortgage to pay and no other expenses (wife, children, pets)

You can run a supra on your wage if your like above. But servicing costs, insurance then the odd part that needed replacing often hit hard.

I can't shift my uk spec for 6k. I'd dream to get 10 from it. And it's been for sale for ages. And it's not a dog ether

I ran my supra on a similar wage. But I drove and still do about 5 miles a day. But I had no rent and no mortgage to pay and no other expenses (wife, children, pets)

You can run a supra on your wage if your like above. But servicing costs, insurance then the odd part that needed replacing often hit hard.

Just been looking at your sale post, cant believe that hasnt sold!!

what do you do as a job? also you have to think that your probaly spending a lot more monthly to live than i am... (im assuming you arnt left with £1600 after your bills and you spend that on your supra each month)

Im left with around £1200 a month.

If I wanted a supra it would have to be a single and theres no way I could afford the insurance, also like Havard said, if you have a bad month where you have to fund stuff other than petrol and insurance then it'll effect you for months. I couldnt justify spending a grand when something goes wrong, and depending on the supra you buy that is bound to happen sooner or later.

I have £1500 after living costs, bills etc. £70 ish on insurance, £120 on tax every 6 months, probably average £200 on fuel a month depending where I go, but I cycle to work every day.

I have however been pretty skint lately, after needing a respray, oil pump, crank seal, timing belt, cam belt, new tyres, it all adds up very fast with these cars. i do oil changes every 3k miles, service every 6k miles, again, which can catch you out if unprepared.

Personally, and I don't mean to quash your dream, but with £700 spare cash a month, looking at a good £400 on fuel, leaves you £300 a month. Unless you save that £300 every month, one problem with the car could see it off the road for a month or two.

I would say no. On that wage, I think it's better staying a dream for a while longer.

I take home £2k after tax, and even I cant afford to run a decent supra, youve got no chance on £700

Bit harsh...

If thats what you have always wanted and you can save your money well then I cant see why not. £700 is £700 at the end of the day and if one week you cant afford petrol then you dont drive, simple. If you really want something that much, you save, then get it!

EDIT: Can I just add that I had a simular response when asking if I should buy a supra and in the end I worked hard enough to save for one taking on every private job possible and in the end bought one. Things will go wrong tho even now I have only driven it for a couple of days since owning it and things did go wrong! I have spent more on the car than I payed for it and it still aint on the road. You just have to expect that with cars mate, there not cheap!

Edited by Kaan W (see edit history)

Bit harsh...

If thats what you have always wanted and you can save your money well then I cant see why not. £700 is £700 at the end of the day and if one week you cant afford petrol then you dont drive, simple. If you really want something that much, you save, then get it!

Call me a boring old fart. At 20 the lad is on a decent wage as I was only taking home similar when I was 25 (although that was in 1999). I am still sometimes surprised when I go to meets and see some of the young lads driving Supras and spending ALL their disposable income on their cars. I would be more concerned about getting on the property ladder and getting some independence at that age.

I waited until I was 32 before I reckoned I could comfortably afford a decent sports car (then bought an NA). I can't imagine even thinking about wasting money on luxuries like sports cars at 20 before getting the rest of my life in order. What you will blow in fuel, insurance, tyres, mods, repairs (lot of dogs about) etc. When you suddenly need a house or have kids on the way, you will wish you'd have put your £700 somewhere better.

H.