The mkiv Supra Owners Club

EGT - Do you moniter yours?

Noz

Just wondering if people use these, and what/if any advantage to having one is. Obviously with tuning it's an advantage when used with a decent wideband AFR but I'm not overly clued up on the use of EGT sensors so thought I'd see how other people use them.

They are most accurate pre turbo but the risk is that the tip could fail and end up in the exhaust blades of the turbo. The alternative is to fit them post turbo (very close to it) and assume a loss of 100degC by this point (thus you set your warning at 850degC instead of 950...

I have mine fitted pre-turbo in the turbo housing just above the flange. This is not optimal and if I had it to do again it would be in runner 6 on my cast manifold. I have however heard CW saying that really for EGT probes to be useful they need to be as close to the combustion chamber as possible if not in it, I personally have fitted mine as a method of seeing something 'out-of-the-norm' and hopefully catching a problem before it causes issues, whether it would react fast enough to do this or not I don't really know.

I have a Defi BF EGT gauge. You don't need to monitor it as such, as it will 'warn' you when the defined temp has been breached with tones and and flashes. The Defi link series allows you to record the moved of your gauges, so you can have a blast then play back the gauges movement.

If you are serious about EGT you need one in each manifold runner really. If one cylinder is running lean then the other 5 will mask the severity of it to some degree.

A single EGT probe pre or post turbo is only handy for spotting issues effecting the global fuelling dynamic like a dodgy sensor or bad map.

I actually make EGT amp kits if anyone is interested as part of my Hobbiest Trader range.

Lyndon.

I actually make EGT amp kits if anyone is interested as part of my Hobbiest Trader range.

Lyndon.

Say I tapped 6 into the runners in my manifold, how would I monitor them all? I've got my defi's all linked up and whatnot but I'm assuming you dont have to have the dash looking like a flight deck with 6 spearate gauges. I've got a syvecs plumbed in, would that be able to log them all or would I need something else? Is it even worth it on a weekend warrior single setup?

I could knock you up a DL & LCD display if you were serious. But after £500 worth of egt amps and K type thermocouples you might think £100 for a Data Logger and Display unit might be taking the urine :D

A Syvecs S8 might manage it as it has 2 EGT amps on board. The S6 might be a few channels short as it only has one EGT internally and would require 5 additional amps and analogue data acquisition channels. Ryan would be best to answer this one really.

Lyndon.

Lyndon.

Be sure to use an Inconel probe, not the cheap HKS or Greddy stainless steel ones. Very high EGT's weaken or melt stainless ones and the turbo will NOT like a sensor tip through it. It's a total waste of time and money having the probe after the turbo, it needs to be pre turbo. I sell Inconel probes and fitting kits.

Be sure to use an Inconel probe, not the cheap HKS or Greddy stainless steel ones. Very high EGT's weaken or melt stainless ones and the turbo will NOT like a sensor tip through it. It's a total waste of time and money having the probe after the turbo, it needs to be pre turbo. I sell Inconel probes and fitting kits.

Hey Chris.

Any solutions for EGT installation kit for a stock twin TT6 Mkiv?

Drill number one port runner of the exhaust manifold, tap hole, install probe adaptpr, install probe, connect probe. I must have done 30 plus of these installs, even made tooling to minimize dismantling required. Still have it.

Gonna be swapping my twins over soon, that would be the ideal time to get the EGT gauge in..

Any reason for installing in the number one?

Will email you abt the probe..