The mkiv Supra Owners Club

na supra to twin

scott87

Im sure this will have been asked before or someone will have covered this, or perhaps tis such a stupid question no one has.... :blink:

If say someone has a twin turbo and decides to go single and takes all the twin bits of there car. Can these then be put onto an n/a, i know the engines are different but can an na become a twin in this way or is it just completely pointless. I assume you could use the standard twin ecu and things like that. I imagine the cost would get out of control as apposed to just fitting a twin engine.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one word....No, its not possible to bolt the standard twins on a GE block, NA-t or NA-tt is the only option

I know they wouldnt just bolt on as such, i was just wondering whether it would be cost effective to fit them to an na, or make an na-tt or just buy a tt lump. Just trying to gauge costs.

I know they wouldnt just bolt on as such, i was just wondering whether it would be cost effective to fit them to an na, or make an na-tt or just buy a tt lump. Just trying to gauge costs.

NA-TT is a TT engine swap and NA-T is a kit you can buy or piece together yourself. Look at Whifbitzs NA-T kit which shows you the parts and gives you a visual image to some degree about what is swapped/fitted.

If you fit a T.T. head to your N/A engine it's doable.

Do tell? Stock turbos and ducting is easier to get than a stock tt lump.

- - - Updated - - -

Going TT is cheaper than NA-T...

Really? Ive seen tt engines box and bits go for like £3000. Ive quoted parts for a turbo conversion to be less than this as i wont be paying labour.

A tt engine and autobox can be had for 2k add .5k for bpu add another 1k for fitting, im sure a reliable na-t making bpu power cant be had for 3.5k, can it?

I would want to be manual, that is where i was getting the much higher price for a tt lump, unless you can run a tt on the standard 5 speed. I have been planning a smallish single build, and by planning i mean considering. I dont want mega power but turbo is just one option, im also considering a few alternatives.

A tt engine and autobox can be had for 2k add .5k for bpu add another 1k for fitting, im sure a reliable na-t making bpu power cant be had for 3.5k, can it?

would a garage really charge 1k to fit an engine. Always done it myself but never thought it would be that much!

I would want to be manual, that is where i was getting the much higher price for a tt lump, unless you can run a tt on the standard 5 speed. I have been planning a smallish single build, and by planning i mean considering. I dont want mega power but turbo is just one option, im also considering a few alternatives.

You would have the same issues running a TT on a W58 that you would running an NA-t so you still need to take the box into consideration.

The most cost effective way would be to sell your NA and buy a TT. :)

Stock N/A bottom end is good for 600 bhp and will take 1.1 bar boost @ 10:1 compression, it would be quicker than a T.T. lump too because of the higher compression.

Just pay attention to efficient cooling of the charge.

You have definitely got me thinking. :eyebrows:

Would i need to alter anything compression wise or would running the higher compression be ok?

parts wise it would be a quite short list then. Ecu, turbos, manifold, tt head, and nice big cooler (im assuming air would be suitable as apposed to charge cooling)?

? Really i havent seen them for less than 6k in similar nic to my na. Parts are definitely coming in cheaper than that!

You obviously are not looking hard enough then ;)

We have had great example sell on this very forum for £5k, if your NA is as great as you say then you should get at least £3.5-4k for it which means it only costs you £1k for the TT. Which is a heck of a lot cheaper than converting an NA to a TT.

would a garage really charge 1k to fit an engine. Always done it myself but never thought it would be that much!

Budget more than you think theres quite abit of work involved engine, tranny, bpu parts fitting and wiring ive never had it done but i woulda thought it would close too a grand

Most on here don't know which end to pick up a spanner and their advice reflects the added cost for this labour.

Was that aimed at me?

Edited by safcdixon (see edit history)