The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Custom Cams for the 2jz-GE NA and NA-T

FOSTA

As some of you will know, there isn't any company's that sell cams for the 2jz-GE engine (apart from the 2jz-GE vvti)

This is due to the exhaust cam having a gear on it for the distributor.

Now I've found a company that can make our existing cams to any spec we want as for me I want my cams to be 264 on both inlet and exhaust.

They do this by hard welding them and then grind them down to the spec we require.

I've contacted the company and asked if they would be willing to do discount on a group buy and they have agreed!

So this is just to see if there is any interest from our fellow NA-Ters.

The price they have quoted for one set is $400-$450 ( so thats between £249-£280 uk currency ) depending on spec but that's just for one set witch i will be buying regardless!

But I asked if they would be willing to discount on a group buy and they have agreed.

I can't see there being much interest as I don't think there is many people NA-T over here but I just thought I would let the ones who are know.

Put your names down if your interested! (this is not a commitment! This is just to get an idea of how many people are interested in a set, and once we get the discounted price back you can then decide if you want to go ahead and purchase).

1.FOSTA

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

There are these ones, they are more expensive though http://www.ttcperformanceproducts.com/ttc-performance-2jzge-268-2268.html

Oh yeah I see, sorry for that.

At the top it has a box that asks the customer to supply cores (cams) or they will sell you there's for an extra $300.

So it looks like they are doing the exact same thing and hard welding the existing cams so they are still not an aftermarket cam, they are just the factory cams hard welded. So the same as what people will be getting here but at less than half the cost.

Thanks for that mate, I didn't know someone else was doing this also ;)

Also found this for OEM cam duration spec:

2JZ-GE (without VVT-i)

Displacement: 2997cc

Intake camshaft duration: 233

Exhaust camshaft duration: 236

Valve overlap: 6 degrees

Intake valve lift: 8.26 mm

Exhaust valve lift: 8.41 mm

Intake valve diameter: 33.5 mm

Exhaust valve diameter: 29.0 mm

Intake valve overall length: 98.55 mm

Exhaust valve overall length: 98.55 mm

Valve stem diameter: 6 mm

Valve spring

Free length:

Installed height:

Valve lifter bucket

Diameter: 30.96 mm - 30.98 mm

Bore diameter: 30.99 mm - 31.02 mm

While the 2JZGE has a 45 degree included valve angle versus the 22.5 degrees of the 3VZ/1MZ, it does not considerably outperform the 3VZ/1MZ even with slightly hotter cams and increased valve lift.

In fact, if the engines were equal in camshaft duration, valve lift, and valve diameter, there's a good chance that either "economy" motor would outperform the "performance" oriented motor, if only slightly.

Reference: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3rd-4th-generation-1992-1996-1997-2001/404089-3vz-1mz-2jz-camshaft-duration-valve-diameter-valve-lift-specifications.html

installing coils isn't the issue. its changing the ignition system so the ecu can fire each cylinder with the coils, a dizzy means you only need one output. with no dizzy your need a standalone ecu and another sensor to control the firing order. or use coils with the cam position sensor, but that only means better ignition still need cam gear.

modifying cam's is a look less hassle than changing ignition system (though possibly not as cheap if your going standalone anyways)

installing coils isn't the issue. its changing the ignition system so the ecu can fire each cylinder with the coils, a dizzy means you only need one output. with no dizzy your need a standalone ecu and another sensor to control the firing order. or use coils with the cam position sensor, but that only means better ignition still need cam gear.

modifying cam's is a look less hassle than changing ignition system (though possibly not as cheap if your going standalone anyways)

ahhh got ya!

When are you planning to get this done dude?

I'm interested, would go well in my project engine.

But probably won't be good till after christmas.

Im just waiting for them to get back to me with a price on shipping and then I will take it from there, I just got a e-mail yesterday saying there are expecting a hurricane so I won't here back from them untill Tuesday-wedensday.

:)