The mkiv Supra Owners Club

has anyone got an engine from ideal engines?

NOODLE

The engine is indeed that of an NA, however looking through peoples feedback, they seem legit. There is one feedback that the engine wasn't what it was in the pic and another I found where the guy didn't get his engine but other than that all seems ok (not sure if they guy got his money back or what, and I didn't study the feedback comments in detail)

They offer fitting, so surely you could pay once the engine has been fitted?

Don't buy anything costing a lot of money from ebay with out going to pick it up and paying for it cash. There are loads of people using the system to con people (unless they are secure power sellers). Sorry for this lengthy story but it may help others from losing their hard earned dosh on ebay. I bought a water tank 4 years ago from ebay, It said bank draft or Paypal. I talked to them and they said they couldn't accept paypal at the mo because they were in dispute with them over a payment paypal owed them. Sounds plausible. So I contacted my bank about a draft and they said that it was still too risky. They banked with Barclays same as me so my bank said they will do a direct transfer into there bank acc which was as safe as you could get without going to pick it up with cash (300mile) Anyway we did the transfer and it never showed up....Total scam. Ebay went into invisible mode. The people changed their name and started selling the tank again. I'm at tight arsed farmer that would be more likely to want to dig a hole and bury in this person for good in a field so went into track the git down mode. Anyway manchester police later (rubbish 10 months) we eventually tracked them down to london. Met...superb, gave them all the details we had got and 2 weeks later they had em. Nigerian students in London, parents in Bradford. They spoke to me from the nick in london and said they were sorry and had never done this before. Guess what i said.....the DS said they sounded sorry and that it was their first time. I supplied him a list of names and addresses who they had sold this imaginary tank to totaling £10000. I had tried to stop other people buying the tank before the bids closed by posting on ebay that they were going to get scammed. I eventually were in contact with people all over the UK. They were ven selling 6 seater garden jacussi's under a different name but with exact same advert wording. Prosecuted...got all my money back within 2 months. Gave up with the bank after 4 letters of them saying that it wasn't anything to do with them even though they allowed scammers to open a bank account. Hope this makes others think about sending large amounts of money with knowing who your dealing with. PS. Loads of good engines on here.

Now, do you honestly believe that for the price they cite they can fully strip, clean, measure and "re-manufacture" a six cylinder engine? If you do, you have no concept at all of the labour time or parts cost. If you don't, you have your answer. Ring them up, I bet they are foreigners, and I bet they won't let you see their "re-manufacturing" line in action.

Now, do you honestly believe that for the price they cite they can fully strip, clean, measure and "re-manufacture" a six cylinder engine? If you do, you have no concept at all of the labour time or parts cost. If you don't, you have your answer. Ring them up, I bet they are foreigners, and I bet they won't let you see their "re-manufacturing" line in action.

There re manufacturing line is real, it has a steam cleaner then a space heater then tins

of silver and black spray paint, oh and some newspapers and masking tape.

Just popped the question pal, i wouldnt of put this up if i was as clued up as you obviously. Tbh ive only owned my supra for about 6 months so no im not exactly master mechanical technician or engineer. Just pointing that before you think im going to argue the toss over who knows best. All im after for next year is a tt conversion so im looking around for prices at the moment. I do agree with you though it does sound way to good to be true! I was only asking if anyone on here has ever heard of them or infact actually thought of buying from them? Cheers anyways

No worries, yes it's FAR too good to be true. If you price up OE valve stem seals, OE bearings, full engine strp to "machine block faces" and a clean and reassembly it's grossly underpriced, so unless the workers are paying for the pleasure of stripping oily old engines 24 hours a day, it's blatantly unrealistic. I would look for an engine that you can have someone knowledgeable see running and do a few basic tests on. Good luck, be careful, a bad TT engine will be a total money pit. A good one is just a small money pit ;)

No worries, yes it's FAR too good to be true. If you price up OE valve stem seals, OE bearings, full engine strp to "machine block faces" and a clean and reassembly it's grossly underpriced, so unless the workers are paying for the pleasure of stripping oily old engines 24 hours a day, it's blatantly unrealistic. I would look for an engine that you can have someone knowledgeable see running and do a few basic tests on. Good luck, be careful, a bad TT engine will be a total money pit. A good one is just a small money pit ;)

Cool cheers chris :)

• 8 months later...
Guest Jamie2565

I have been reading this thread about Ideal Engines and thought I should throw in a comment. I bought a 2.2 diesel engine for my Toyta Lucida. Cost me £1095 for the new reconditioned engine. Also paid over £1000 in labouring fees to only find out the Ideal Engines unit had a serious oil leak. They are now ignoring me and are refusing to refund. I have started legal action against them. Check out my homepage for the whole story, click the scams section.

I have to say it again, when a completely reconditioned engine is less than the cost of a proper head rebuild, something's very fishy. In many cases a seen and tried running, used engine from a drivable wreck makes more economic sense. I would imagine most of the reconditioning is done with the good old steam cleaner lance and lots of traffic film remover ;)

Looked at a 3SGTE from Ideal Engines about 6 months ago and it looked like it had been put together by steve wander. There wasn't any new gaskets just siliconed together. wrong bolts everywhere. so i guess what you pay for.

but be warned. To many cowboys out there these days after a quick buck

Edited by James
Removed alluding to trading (see edit history)