The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Worth upgrading to a TRD LSD ?

alex2jz

Hi chaps,

I have a '97 NA 6spd and i have a clunking noise coming from the rear of the car when changing the first gears ( especially the first ones) and sometimes i can hear it a bit when releasing the clutch.

I've been told that this is just the differential engaging and most Supras with LSD's of this age will do this. It hasn't been a problem, but just a minor acoustic discomfort ( i'm having it since i've got the car 4+ years ago).

As i may have plans to go 400+HP in the near future, i'm thinking of getting a brand new TRD diff as well ? What's your opinion on this ? Is it a pain to fit ?

Cheers

Alex

The 6 speed is a clunky gearbox, if you driven a 5 speed they are like a world of difference.

So, i've heard. But i can't really imagine Toyota delivering brand new 6spd Supras back in the day, with this clunking noise to it's customers.

If someones has fitted TRD diffs on to a 6spd Supra. please share the experience :). They indeed have good rep and are far less expensive than Toyota LSD's !

the clunky from the cars have nothing to do with the gearbox .. but can be located to at prop bearing or the diff itself

the TRD diff is one of the best upgrades to do over the std torsen-diff .. and is very relieible and cant handle alot of power .. it is not an advanced diff at all but have been the choice off many who is laying alot of power to the ground

Edited by Hartmann (see edit history)

I chanced to a trd diff on my NA last spring.

There's no question - do it!!!!

Afterwards go for a track day and you'll instantly notice that it was worth it!

Go and get the one of Keron.

Keron is such a great and helpfull member on here - did a lot of business with him.

I had to get a new one from the states, costed me a small fortune. There was no used one on the market back in the days.

Regards, Herbert

PS: I love your signature! Mine's also NA and I'm proud of it!

Cheers guys.

Herb, thanks for the feedback man. There's no question now, i'm going for it :) I've contacted Keron, let's hope i can sort the cash in time to get it though.

PS : Shipping from the states would be close to 1000$ i think, haven't you tried Paul Whiffin for a new one ?