The mkiv Supra Owners Club

blown turbo damage help

paul21uk

If it actually went in then it could have damaged the piston, maybe the valves as well. It can destroy the seals, break off the fins in the turbo, scratch, damage and weaken the pistons. If you want to check then you're going to have the take the pistons out.

i was looking at a soarer for breaking and due to lack of paerwork to drive it home no mot paperwork for tax to drive it for a while i left it amongst other reasons and the lad text me saying he went for a quick 2min drive hit the boost and he said the turbo has gone bang and there was loads of black smoke so i was just generally wondering what sort of damage could be done as im still wanting it for parts to complete my 1jz conversion

I have recently been told of a fault where black smoke was coming out the back and it turned out to be a split turbo pipe on the exhaust side. Strange I know. I have also been under the impression that black smoke is to do with fuel.

I can imagine what would happen is that a split or damaged turbo on the exhaust side would allow exhaust gases to escape therefore the compressor won't create enough pressure etc etc and ultimately over fuelling (run rich?) and causing the smoke.

Could have blown a seal or a gasket which can be replaced or could have broken the splines in the turbo and you will need a new turbo for that. Might as well check the induction and exhaust systems to be sure. You'll find out what's damaged when you look at it really c

Maybe not, but I do have a lot of experience with 1JZs

I have recently been told of a fault where black smoke was coming out the back and it turned out to be a split turbo pipe on the exhaust side. Strange I know. I have also been under the impression that black smoke is to do with fuel.

I can imagine what would happen is that a split or damaged turbo on the exhaust side would allow exhaust gases to escape therefore the compressor won't create enough pressure etc etc and ultimately over fuelling (run rich?) and causing the smoke.

Care to explain what that means? Split turbo pipe on the exhaust side? And as the engine has a MAP sensor, fuel is related to manifold pressure, so it wont over fuel if the boost is low.

Could have blown a seal or a gasket which can be replaced or could have broken the splines in the turbo and you will need a new turbo for that. Might as well check the induction and exhaust systems to be sure. You'll find out what's damaged when you look at it really c

Blown seal, yes, turbine oil seal. Broken the splines? On what, where?

It cant get into the engine.

Depends which end of the turbine lets go. If it's in the exhaust housing then yes, it'll go straight down the pipe. If it's the intake housing, there's an intercooler, then your intake manifold. If particles can pass through the intercooler, it's not long before they're into the motor :)

Maybe not, but I do have a lot of experience with 1JZs

Care to explain what that means? Split turbo pipe on the exhaust side? And as the engine has a MAP sensor, fuel is related to manifold pressure, so it wont over fuel if the boost is low.

Blown seal, yes, turbine oil seal. Broken the splines? On what, where?

I was making more of a speculation with the second paragraph to explain what I said in the first paragraph. I obviously should have made a little clearer what I was on about. Basically I was told of a recent fault where black smoke was coming out the back of the vehicle and instead of being as commonly suspected fuel related it turned out to be caused by a split in one of the pipes leading from the turbo. I don't understand how it's possible but replacing the pipe seemed to fix the problem. I'm not saying what I said is 100% correct, I am very open to being told if & why I am wrong. But ultimately I wanted to show that just because there is black smoke doesn't instantly mean it's fuel related.

Borken splines:

The ones of the compressor of the turbo. He said about there being a foreign body getting in didn't he? If something gets in there then as you know it can potentially damage the fins/splines or whatever they are actually called, I can't remember if there is a proper name.