The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie question on faulty 1st turbo replacement

Nikue

Hi Everyone!

I have always loved Supras and I might finally be getting round to buying one. In particular a 1995 import auto.

I think I have found one which seems in good condition lots of paperwork and usual car checks suggest its well looked after.

However 1 problem is that the 1st turbo does not work. You can feel the 2nd turbo work OK.

Compression test is fine as is cold starting etc. The car is a part exchange with a garage and they dont have the time to fix it.

My question is how much am I looking to spend on a new 1st turbo and and if I did get a new turbo would it be worth upgrading it to a better performance one?

I dont mind buying cars with things that need fixing but since this is my 3rd car there is less money I have to spend. So it would be good to know what I am getting myself into.

Thanks in advance and I hope to be a contributing member in due course... Cheers :)

Replacing a stock turbo you have 3 options.

1. Replace with a new or second hand stock turbo

2. Replace with a hybrid turbo (mixed reviews on this)

3. Take it single (by far the most expensive option)

I would suggest looking to see how much it would cost for the parts and labour from a different garage, or a few garages would be better, the ask the trader to knock that sum off the price.

Unless yor are getting a bargain and you can do the work yourself i would be tempted to walk away, with the way the supra market it these days there are lots of bargains out there, especially TT auto's.

How ever if you do decided to go for it the J spec turbo's pop up on here for sale from time to time for not a lot of money, a quick search will reveal all.

Are you 100% sure the first turbo is faulty, and its not that its been re plumbed to run in TTC mode?

Unless yor are getting a bargain and you can do the work yourself i would be tempted to walk away, with the way the supra market it these days there are lots of bargains out there, especially TT auto's.

How ever if you do decided to go for it the J spec turbo's pop up on here for sale from time to time for not a lot of money, a quick search will reveal all.

Are you 100% sure the first turbo is faulty, and its not that its been re plumbed to run in TTC mode?

Im not sure its been changed to TTC mode and yes it could be a simple vac hose leak.

I will be repairing it myself with my opposite neighbour who is a old mechanic mate. Im hoping to get to learn more about the car and increase my knowledge.

Im in no rush to repair either so can wait for parts. The car has a lot of mods and has seen 441bhp on a dyno run at 1.25 bar with a nice smooth torque curve.

Thanks for the replies guys ! Great forum :)

Mmm, seems they know sod all about it, I get your mechanic mate to look it over. It could turn out to be expensive, or as has been said, a pipe has come off.

Gold luck either way, looks like a nice clean example. Sort out the rear fog though.

Yes that fog does look out of place.

Had another look today with my torch. There was a connection loose under the engine, the discs and pads were low and exhaust looks cracked at a join in the middle.

When the car was ticking over with a bit of throttle I think I could hear a more coarse exhaust note coming from the back of the engine. Cant be sure though.

It also has no MOT and last been road taxed in 2010.

I asked the garage why they had not repaired the car then sell it - their comment was that they were busy with other garage work. Fair enough possibly...who knows.

Im in no rush to buy the car so will just keep checking in on this site for a good one and keep learning more about this great marque.

Blowing from the engine could be a cracked manifold. Possibly a new exhaust on the books if that's cracked too. New discs and pads needed, mot needed, tax needed ( I dGuess the garage would tax and mot it for you? If not, I'd walk away)

Seems like too much hassle to me. Plus, with the above and the possibility of a new turbo, looks like it could turn into an expensive fix.