The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC in the snow

GeordieSteve

Oh here comes a sh*tstorm lol. I personally like the whole traction control idea. i am a big fan. There are those that aren't. The RLTC that came fitted on my car is without putting too fine a point on it IMO absolutely fantatsic. Turned up to the max whilst I get used to the power of the new beast has been great. I can hoon out of roundabouts in the wet that i wouldn't even dream of in my N/A. I can plant my foot at any junction and she will grip and go instead of going no-where hugely fast and spinning a single wheel. As I get more and more used to her I will turn the RLTC down and down until its off. Until then it stays on and I stay liking it.

Originally posted by GeordieSteve

Anyone know what it's like in the wet and now? Is it worth buying?

Thank ya'll! :thumbs:

after it took me 1 and a half hours to travel 1 mile in the snow last year im definitely investing in rltc this year before the winter sets in.

Originally posted by leett

after it took me 1 and a half hours to travel 1 mile in the snow last year im definitely investing in rltc this year before the winter sets in.

What you need is manu and 2 in snow mate. I have traction control on my omega and in the snow we had last year it just made me slide backwards downhill as it kept completely cutting the power out. I forgot what the winter setting on the box was for and had to wait at the bottom of the hill til I remembered.;)

Originally posted by dangerous brain

I can hoon out of roundabouts in the wet that i wouldn't even dream of in my N/A. I can plant my foot at any junction and she will grip and go instead of going no-where hugely fast and spinning a single wheel.

:innocent:

What you need is manu and 2 in snow mate. I have traction control on my omega and in the snow we had last year it just made me slide backwards downhill as it kept completely cutting the power out. I forgot what the winter setting on the box was for and had to wait at the bottom of the hill til I remembered.;)

i did have it in manu and 2 and even sat still in traffic with my foot on the brake, the car just span round 90 degrees.

Originally posted by Nick

The RLTC is useless in the snow, you may as well turn it off.

For once the standard TC was useful. The facelift has a 'Snow Mode' which works quite well.

Take it for a spin on wet grass, its just the same feeling as snow, then plug in laptop and adjust your RLTC on Wet setting to suit! :thumbs:

Steve, i honestly think the best advice is to not take the sup out in any sort of settled snow. It really is a nightmare on any form of gradient. Front wheel drive cars will just cruise past you thier drivers looking quizically across at you, as you sit wheel spinning in 1st, 2nd 3rd (take your pick) on a slope you never before realised was even up hill.......

Yeah its the width of the tyres that knacker you in the snow. They break traction too easy because they sit on top of the snow and compact it into ice forming your very own ice rink. Narrower tyres cut through the snow which is why when it snows all the local BMW's and Mercs and that used to get passed by a citroen cv going up the hill to where i used to work.

All I have to say is, my first set of new tyres lasted me 7 months on the soop, had RLTC fitted and I have now had my current tyres for 5 months, and looks like I have another 6mm to play with. RLTC was one of the best mods for me to do, as I tend to use the soop for lots of small mind numbing trips where my mind tends to wander occasionally. Great safety mod, mine is normally on 10% slip, but when its raining like now it goes to straight to wet setting and it gives me a large margin for error. The standard facelift traction that I did have was basically a dangerous piece of crap, best thing to dump.

Best mod I have fitted so far, should get it.

Ben..

P.S. It is also great to have it pop and bang as you start sliding round corners. The launch control is a great attention grabber aswell.

Originally posted by Soo

Ben...

What did you do with the standard TC, do you turn it off and put up with that horrible yellow light (facelift) or can you nobble it somehow when you fit the RLTC ??

Soo

Being that mine is a manual, I disconnected it, and it now resides in a box in my loft. If you have an auto, I believe you have to keep it all in place.

Ben..

easy way to deal with the light, take the bulb out lol. I know I know its an led well a soldering iron will deal with that or a pair of thin nosed pliars and a bit of mullering :p

Nah it's just a bulb that comes out in a holder. At least it is on the facelift. I'm fairly sure when I removed my standard TC (I have a manual) the light flashed annoyingly until I took the bulb out, even though I'd removed the whole TC unit.