The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's the standard Traction control for?

Supra Kong

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you turn it off you get the bright orange light on the dash which is really distracting. I'm sure you get warning lights if you take the fuse out as it's letting you know it's driver-killing mode is disabled?

Little square bit of black tape over it sorts that out. ;)

the traction control in the supra is well poor, i bit you will find that its actually working , i recon i could do a fully 360 dougnut before the traction control knew to cut the power,

if its working the green slip control light will flicker as you spin up

You have to remember, though, that the stock Supra TC is 20+ year old technology. It's an area that's moving in huge strides.

When Ferrari brough the 430 out, it's TC strategy was universally acclaimed. The 458 is 30% better in corner exits alone. God knows what the next one will be!

Same with the Supra. Stock is terrible. RLTC is much better, Syvecs is better again - it's all progress.

:yeahthat:

On my previous Supra when I lost some traction a little green light use to pulse on the dash to let you know, fine on a dry day but if you have it on during wet weather then it is pretty much dangerous!! I pulled out a roundabout & because of the slip it cut the power!

20 years ago it was amazing technology but like Johnny says nowadays you have the likes of RLTC & Syvecs.

Edited by Abz (see edit history)

UK specs run a different system and don't suffer with the issue of being stuck in snow mode trying to pull out of junctions. No annoying warning triangle when it's off either. Wonder how many of the crashed threads could be avoided by just leaving it on when it gets to this time of year!

Mine's been disabled, and I don't get any warning lights.

After all the seemingly close misses, I'd always turn it off when driving, anyway.

I'm with the last 2 comments. When I picked up my first UK TT from the south coast in 1999 I had never driven a Supra before. When I pulled on to the motorway I thought I would give it a push to see what it felt like and the bloody thing really wanted to go sideways. Fortunately having an little experience in the past from rallying, I was ok but if that would have been someone totally inexperienced to fast cars it could have easily been.... exit another Supra to the big car park in the sky (Kerons mighty palace) The traction control was off!... I always leave it on even though it may be inferior to the new types, it does work.

And one other thing.........anyone that stops giving the Supra TT the proper respect can easily get caught out.

I tested my traction control when I bought my uk TT, when TC was on when pulling away in the wet the rear tries to slide out so I applied more rev's to see if would just 180 on me! It done its job and pulled the car straight and just kept pulling. Done it a few times (private road) and mine works good! When it's off it just wheel spins daft (when wet)

Edited by shaz2010 (see edit history)