The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New supra owner, Roanoke VA

Guest TylerSL92

Guest TylerSL92

Hey guys! I picked up an 1994 TT Supra last month, Its got all the goodies, twin to single, targra, 6 speed i couldn't have asked for a better deal. I picked it up for a fairly low price, thats not to say when i got all the way to Florida to pick it up from Virginia it was as mint as the guy described, nor would he come a penny off the price, i still purchased it anyway as it was the cheapest tt 6 speed i could find over the last couple months!

I was just a little pissed when i got down there, part of it might be ive never owned a car this old, but also it was NOT listed well nor were the pictures accurate (figured out why he took pictures from 10ft away, and had 0 of the interior even though it was described "MINT" condition) Car was posted as TT to Single, ran great, 190k miles good compression, blah blah blah. Already talked about the interior, it had been "resprayed" well get to that haha... also supposed to have resprayed and logo brakes, and was a daily driver.

Get there, the car used to be RED he said resprayed i thought repainted color. WRONG, uh interior is horrid. I think it sat with the targras out a while. The tan carpet has HUGE brown spots in it, Both seats are cracked all to hell. Ive never seen leather so dry and hard in the rear. OF course the matte finish on the dash looked like shit. Passenger grab handle broken, center console broken, the shifter knob looked like someone attacked it with 100 grit sandpaper... That covers my gripes about the interior. The paint i literally LOLd in front of him then he proceeded to say "i think its not that bad" uhhh bullshit, they used single stage paint, you can see red all around the rubber seals, firewall, targra, etc... even chips on the hood are RED underneath which leads me to believe this care was never sanded and primed, literally just sprayed black on it. The body kit is pretty much held on with drywall screws and zip ties.... Also noted you can hardly read the SUPRA logo on the calipers as they have NOT been resprayed or relogod... So after all this i offered this guy 2,000 less than he had it listed and he wouldn't come a single penny off. I had gotten a loan for 80% of the car and was doing 20% down, we had already been to the bank and he was going to take me back to get the money out. He wasn't even kidding. I told him "Ill take it for the full price, but i want to let you know you listed this thing like complete shit, it was not advertised accordingly to the condition its in, i just want to let you know" He acted dumbfounded. Ended up giving me $100 back and the targra wrench from his N/A mk4 he had since mine didn't have one

Anyhow after i get it home it kinda snowballed, don't get me wrong i LOVE the car when im looking at it, but when its not in sight its just frustrating. I forgot to mention he had a greddy profec spec 2-b on it, and the boost cranked up... but for some reason he ran it that way even though the car would backfire and shit at more than 12psi... idk why he didn't turn it down but ??? whatever, i turned it down to 9-10psi fixed that problem. But the car overloads fuel, if you pull the clutch as speed it will overload with fuel and turn off. It runs PIG RICH, i mean i get a headache, my friends behind me get a headache, and the exhaust leaks don't help. Whoever put the apexi exhaust on it did some Micky mouse garage bullshit. Alot on the car is that way, They literally RTVd the flange on the exhaust half way under the car. NO SHIT IT LEAKS?!?!? when i changed the plugs (which 3 of 6 were fouled) the valve covers are RTVd on, its just like REALLY?!?!?! WHY WHY WHY Then its got a cheap ebay turbo kit and ebay wheels on it which are both coming off ASAP this winter with christmas bonus/ tax returns next year. Hello turbonetics precision turbo :) and probably some HRE wheels

Along with the car came a heft pile of receipts which i went through the other night, hell the car even had the original window sticker. Know what else i found in those receipts? over the cars 20 years of life its been wrecked, wrecked, and impounded! Thanks car-fax for not telling me that... hah i suspected it because of the driver side headlamp frame/front clip whatever was smashed a bit and rusted. But found where in 99 Toyota dealership fixed $6,000 in body damage to the front driver side which explains that. Found a police report in 2002 where it was in an accident with a 80 Plymouth. And on the paper i couldn't tell if it was the supra or the Plymouth but it said "no DL and reckless driving" which would explain the faded impound ticket i found under the seat...

I make the car sound a bit worse than what it is, But its still just frustrating to have a car payment in this and it needs more work than i thought, for the price i cant complain too much. And yes maybe i should have turned it down but its a mk4 supra... if i could just get the fuel overload fixed to where i could drive it i probably wouldn't care about 99% of the other stuff. But anyway since ive had it ive done alot of minor fixes to the car. Resurfaced the dash panels, Cleaned the thing extensively, Replaced the "updated head unit, which was from 2002" With a cheap panasonic with usb and aux in for now, installed the 97-98 signals he gave me that weren't installed (yea it had no signals) fixed the boost issue, and this weekend i need to order a wide-band/ boost gauge/ and im going to get an MBC to replace the electronic one. It might not be that unit but im going to blame it, its spikes like a mofo, 9psi 9psi BLAH BLAM BLAM POP, *looks down at last boost* 28psi -________- no no no

but the motor/tranny and body are all SOLID, thats what matters most to me, everything else is time and money and i understand this car will be a labor of love.

here are some pictures, ill try to post in order from when i got it to now as far as how it looks and how far its come

In case your wondering that my Orange SS in some pictures, Its bone stock other than a cat back flow master exhaust system

- - - Updated - - -

Guest TylerSL92

Side note as well, I know my way pretty well around a car mechanically. I fix fuel dispensers and and registers for a living, hand me a part i can usually take it off and put the new one back. When you get into tuning, compression, timing all that good stuff im just like :blink: thats why i still dont have the overload fixed yet, as i need to take it to a shop. We have something around here called sports car clinic that does high end and aftermarket cars though their $100hr labor is holding me back until i can save up a bit. Yea i could get lucky and it be easy parts and an hour or two of labor, My luck so far it will be 20hrs haha